Thread: Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000018)

Vipvap Guest

Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000018)

When the application runs in some computers with WinXP (autoupdated), it fails to start. We haven't do any change in our application and it was working fine !!!

Following is the error message:
    "Application Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000018). Click on OK to terminate the application".

I use Delphi 6 + Protection Plus 4.2.1.12 Any one has some idea what is wrong how to fix it?

Thanks!

Maurice N ~ MVP Guest

Re: Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000018)

What were the most recent updates applied on these computers? You somewhat imply that an update may have caused this. The fact that the other computers are not affected surely muddles up the situation. Go back to Windows Update, but then select View update history. (When you first get to website for Microsoft Update-Windows Update, look at left-hand column, under Options. Press "Review your update history".) Make inventory of recent updates (on say 3 - 4 computers).

Right Click the My Computer icon on desktop. Select Properties. Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button. In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart. Write an event to system log should be Checked (selected).

It is some kind of virus issue. You have to scan your system for the same. Using your existing antivirus will not help much. You will have to use make a bootable antivirus scanner. You can do that through usb or through bootable media. You just have to make a removable drive through the same. Once done scan your system through it. This might be enough to fix the problem. But if not then start taking data backup and format windows. Install everything from scratch. Go ahead with all essential windows update which is necessary.

This error is common with many applications and games. I got this on Norton. Whenever I restart my pc I get this error on my screen. I was a bit confused with the same. I thought this was a virus problem. But later on re-installing the same the issue is resolved. I had used Norton Removal Tool to get rid of this problem. This tool is available for free on web. Through this tool I had removed the existing Norton antivirus from the system. It has helped to remove this completely and then I re-installed everything back again. Now it is working fine.