Thread: Offline Windows Updates

Offline Windows Updates

I'm stuck with an extremely slow dialup service that's ok for Windows updates that are small in size, but for larger downloads, I would like an offline update procedure. I can use the broadband service at a nearby library for downloads, but they will not allow applications (such as WSUS) to be run. However, I can obtain the necessary updates by running windows update on my pc, and then download them from Microsoft Update catalog at the library to a usb flash drive. My question concerns how to properly install the saved updates on the flash drive to my pc. Do I need another piece of software (maybe 3rd party) for this ?

Re: Offline Windows Updates

See with the windows 7 it is very much simple to do that do not worry about the same. There is nothing to worry in it. However if you are using the windows xp then there is a cause of concern because Windows XP does not have the feature of booting from a USB flash drive. so do one thing just install the software named as win to flash and that's it. Your problem is solved. So do the following thing that i have suggested here, hope so it works for you.

tomleej Guest

Re: Offline Windows Updates

Quote Originally Posted by lee932 View Post
    Do I need another piece of software (maybe 3rd party) for this ?
    i dont know if it is applicable for you, but my solution is to cache windows updates on a local shared folder. i have 3 machines at home in a local area network and only if needed one of them downloads a new update and shares it to the others. so i save a lot of traffic. for this i use a thrid party tool "wuinstall" (wuinstall.com). maybe it is also a solution for you. further more it might be possible to install the downloaded updates of the flash drive if you use it as the "cache folder" with that tool.