Thread: Windows XP error code 0x80240022

effielumpy Guest

Windows XP error code 0x80240022

I downloaded Windows Defender and i keep getting the error message so cannot download the updates. I also accidentally deleted security files and lost the entire SYSTEM RESTORE FACILITY ( please don't shout, i know i am an idiot!)

2 Questions.
    1~ Is there a way of installing system restore again without buying a new disc? as mine was already installed on my computer when i bought it ( i already tried the typing in the black box thing and had no joy- i also spent 2 3 days exploring Windows and cannot work out if it can be done)
    2~ How on earth can i get Windows Defender running again if it never lets me do updates (re error code in subject line)

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated as I know your time is

PA Bear [MS MVP] Guest

Re: Windows XP error code 0x80240022

Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

The issue occur due to wrong date and time of your system. Try to change the same first. You can find the clock located in the system tray which is located in the right bottom. Double click on the same and then change the date and time to current one. This would be enough to fix the problem. Sometime mismatch time and date causes this kind of errors. If still the error appear try to run system restore. It will reverse the old settings and will wipe out the error.

Remove defender first. Run a good disk cleaner tool. You can also try Disk Cleanup. This would be enough to wipe out unwanted files from the system. run the same and then try to install it back again. Check that your internet connection is working fine. You can also try running the update manually. You can download it and test back. If you are getting constant issue with Windows Defender, then you can try using some other good anti-malware tool. There are many free security software's available.