Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892)

David Kochkerian Guest

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892)

Berry, to answer your question, the MSSQL service is operational when you try to install the hotfix, when the hotfix runs, it stops the service during the installation so that it can overwrite some older files, and in the end it should start the service again. but since the update is failing, it is not operating the way that it's designed, and thus does not restart the service.

Daniel Lüngen Guest
    Same Issue on 3 machines.

1* Windows 7 Ultimate
    1* Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard (x86)
    1* Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard (x64)

I am new and I am having a problem downloading Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) HELP!!! I'm having the same problem with Vista Bus SP1. I read where, and I had just done it, that it wouldn't install to a compressed directory. I expanded it back - still no joy. And did you bother reading ANY of the other 30 posts in this thread?

Nicholas DiDonna Guest
    I copied this from another discussion group and it worked on my computer. I am running XP Professional.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Go to Run, type regedit, and click ok, or press Enter.
    2. Back up your registry, if you don't know how to do this, google it...
    3. In Regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
    Server\MSSQL.1\Setup]
    [Note that if you have multiple instances of MSSQL installed, the reg key
    might be different for you]
    4. find the Resume REG_DWORD, and change its decimal value from 1, to 0.
    5. install the update, and restart the machine.

If you don't want to install this update using the automatic update (WUAUCLT), you can download the hotfix directly from microsoft, just google "download KB970892 ". you will still need to manually change the registy "Resume" value, or else the hotfix will fail to install. My regedit was already set like this. So, now what?

daluen Guest
    changing the registry the way it's mentioned in this thread did not work for me on an win 2k3 x64 machine, any other recommendations? That fix worked for me., I uninstalled the KB970892 and then went to windows update. It found the KB970892 & installed it. Hopefully this is the end of it for me.

This solved it for me. Now maybe my Business Contact Manager will stay up.

Thanks in advance. I have read over the posts and nothing here seems to be what my log shows.

2009-11-14 13:49:53.26 spid11s The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
    2009-11-14 13:49:53.26 spid11s The Database Mirroring protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
    2009-11-14 13:49:53.32 spid11s Service Broker manager has started.
    2009-11-14 14:20:07.59 Server Server resumed execution after being idle 1782 seconds: user activity awakened the server. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    2009-11-14 14:20:08.10 spid11s Service Broker manager has shut down.
    2009-11-14 14:20:08.32 spid5s SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    2009-11-14 14:20:08.32 spid5s SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

I begin having the problem at "Sevice Broker" manager.

I don't even believe I need this update but I don't want to miss anything for future adjustments.

renski33 Guest

Re: Fix - Security Update for SQL Service Pack 3

Exactly same with me, I;d had that number set to 0, so that is not issue which would apply to everyone. I downloaded patch from mic. website but still won't work. I have tried the one, where you go to remove programs, SQL server 2005 Change and try to install it from here, but it was asking me to locate patch. So I located patch downloaded from web BUT it only accepts msi files, and Microsoft patch is named as msp. I think this is the issue, but I don't know how to resolve it. I've tried almost all options available while searching net but unsuccessful. I am so fed up with microsoft. This issue is messing with my Eset smart security, with my printer, and every time i swith my pc on it takes ages cause of these silly attempts to install it. Please don't tell me there's no proffesionals to help us here and solve this issue. I am not talking about 10 ppl I am talking about milions with same problem. Will Microsoft do something about it, or they just don't care as usually???? IT MASTERS WHERE ARE YOU?

renski Guest

Same problem here, my regedit was already set to 0. I am afraid there are no IT professionals to help us here. This regedit thing doesn't apply to everyone, so thanks for you participation and help but that' not the issue

Jason Martinez Guest

Re: Fix - Security Update for SQL Service Pack 3

I had the same problem for weeks. It would runs for a bit and then report it could not install. This was a pain because it would stop my BackupExec and not restart it. So some of my backups that run passed 4 am would be stopped in their tracks. I tried all the suggestions on the web, from uninstalling to reinstalling, but nothing worked until I finally figured out that my problem was a missing local group. If you look at the hotfix install log, summary.txt (which I found in C: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90
    • \Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\) you can see why the install failed. As you can see below mine was do to a missing local group.
    • Error Number : 29512
    • Error Description : MSP Error: 29512 SQL Server Setup was
    • unable add user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to local group CNTV
    • \SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$MYCOMPUTER$BKUPEXEC.

I searched this error in google and found a posting that suggested the problem was that a previous install had removed the group and now when this hotfix tries to add the user to the missing local group the install fails. The solution is to convince the installer to recreate the groups. This is accomplished by deleting some registry keys. If you want to read the posting it is at this page http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...c-3a40df6340a8, but I will summarize below.
    - Run the regedit.exe program.
    - Back up your registry (use File -> Export and choose to export All)
    - Find any of the keys listed below and delete them. Don't worry if
    you do not have all the keys, I only had 2 of them.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
    Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\SQLGroup
    Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\AGTGroup
    Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\FTSGroup
    Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\ASGroup
    - Once I deleted the keys, I downloaded the hot fix instead of running
    the Windows Update (http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/E/0/
    BE0F87BC-37A4-4AB7-84C1-0E1A46F5463B/SQLServer2005-KB970892-x86-
    ENU.exe).
    - Last, I ran the hotfix and to my surprise it completed.

I hope this helps anyone in this group who has suffered with this annoying hotfix.

Robert Aldwinckle Guest
    Thanks for sharing the resolution. Cross-post added to SQL Setup for its info. I had this problems for weeks now and the above solution worked immediately. Reg edit from Nic DiDonna worked for Small Business Server 2003 as well. This worked to perfection and the instructions were right on the money. Thanks a zillion..

PA Bear [MS MVP] Guest

Error code when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates on a computer that has SQL Server 2005 installed: "0x737D": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978597

This worked for me. *G* Thank you!

PrairieNerd403 Guest

On an x64 Machine navigate to
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
    Server\*instance* instead of the registry path indicated in the original post.

"daluen" wrote:

> Hi PA,
    > changing the registry the way it's mentioned in this thread did not
    > work for me on an win 2k3 x64 machine, any other recommendations?
    >
    > regards,
    > Daniel
    >
    > On 24 Okt., 00:05, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > And did you bother reading ANY of the other 30 posts in this thread?
    > >
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...update/browse_...
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > donphx wrote:
    > > > Hello - I am new and I am having a problem downloading Security Update
    > > > for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) HELP!!!- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

> >
    > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

>
    > .
    >

curtiseflush Guest

RE: Fix - Security Update for SQL Service Pack 3

This worked for me. thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12