Thread: RamDisk for Windows 8

RamDisk for Windows 8

I am running Windows 8 on my computer from quite sometime and I was looking for some suggestions on the best and latest RamDisk software for this operating system. I was previously using Primo RamDisk but it was very old and hence I think it is not upto the mark. So, if anyone knows or uses any of the latest RamDisk software to make ramdisks then please let me know about it. I am having 8GB of RAM and windows is using only 3GB as of now. Thank you

Re: RamDisk for Windows 8

I am thinking that your computer is using less RAM because of any SSD that you are using. If you are using any SSD then the prefetch is simply turned off so windows might have a lot less to put in memory. Also, when you will be benchmarking programs then you will never notice a difference in speed while opening and closing program. You can try to set up RAPID mode that will work similar to a RAM disk.

I was previously using the RamDisks many years ago but at that time it all looked counterproductive except in very small number of softwares like Corel, Autoclad, Photoshop, etc; can use them as very fast scratch disks. If there are some software with the possibility to move scratch or temp files somewhere else then ramdisk can use it. There might be some issues like windows taking time to load or something else.

Now-a-days computers have more powerful CPU compared to the system RAM. I dont really like the RamDisks. But the system cache used in any latest operating system has most of the advantages of a RamDisk with less issues. When you use a SSD for storage then it makes this becomes more difficult. You will always face a bottleneck in performance. So, I would not suggest you to use RamDisks, instead use a 64bit architecture which will be more useful.