Thread: What is a redist folder in a game downloaded from torrent

What is a redist folder in a game downloaded from torrent

I downloaded a free game from torrent. It was big size. It is actually a demo and I was not getting good speed on the official site. On torrent I am getting maximum download and it was faster. It was uploaded by some user not officially by the game developer. It has a redist folder in it. What would be in that folder. I do not want any kind of virus in my pc so I had not yet clicked on it. The entire game is packed in the for of rar archive. I am not going to extract that if this is has some kind of threat. I want some help here. Can I ignore the game and expand only the gamedemo.exe file. Or it will be necessary to extract the redist folder also.

Re: What is a redist folder in a game downloaded from torrent

You can extract it if you are having a good antivirus in your pc. You dont have to worry much about the threat. You can try using a free edition of lots of antivirus on the web. There are effective against lot of new threats. Just extract them in your pc and then scan it with your antivirus. I am quiet sure that would be enough to fix the problem you are facing. Before installation you can scan it and then run the setup. I think there will be some installable files in the redist folder which might be needed to run the game. You can try checking that and search those files on the web to get more info on it.

Re: What is a redist folder in a game downloaded from torrent

The folder redist has all Redistributable Packages that are needed to run the game. This consist of Visual C++ and DirectX. If you are having this things in your pc then you can ignore the same. It is always good to download this Redistributable Packages from the official site of Microsoft. Many games need a dot net update or Visual C++. By default DirectX is installed in windows, but there can be a old version. So you just have to update that and done. If the game does not work then you can install those files in your pc or else you can ignore the same. Scanning will be a good way to keep virus away from your system.