Thread: Windows 8.1 error "The stub received bad data"

Windows 8.1 error "The stub received bad data"

I recently bought a new SSD so that I can clone my current drives installed in my system. But after installing the drive I started receiving some error message if I was trying to open task manager or some exe files which stated "The stub received bad data". After this error message if I am trying to open any exe files then it will open normally. So, can anyone tell me if there is any solution rather than installing a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 again on my pc? Thanks

Re: Windows 8.1 error "The stub received bad data"

You might have to download a third party tool to do the cloning. There are many tools that you can find online but I will suggest you to grab the Acronis Disk Director. After downloading and installing the same tool, you can try to clone the installation to the SSD, provide that the SSD is large enough to hold the installation to be cloned. Just remember that after cloning to your new SSD, you should shut down and then disconnect the original installation. After that you can reconnect the disk once the SSD has booted properly.

1. Try to Perform SFC scan to check if there is any system corrupted files.
    2. Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
    3. If the above method not works in your case then, I would suggest you to login to a different user account & check with the issue.
    4. Enable 'Fingureprint Reader'
    5. You may boot the system into Safe mode and check all Windows Startup settings (Including Safe mode).

Forget all the software and download the best one out there, called EaseUS Todo Backup Free. You can use this software to restructure the partitions of your drive so that a 250GB hard drive folders can be fit onto a 120GB SSD drive without any issues and also as max aloud as it could be aloud on the SSD drive. There are many similar software that I have tested and in the end everything resulted in failures. Simply go with the EaseUS which is a time saver application.

Can you please tell us what is the error code that is displayed along with the error message "The stub received bad data" that you are getting on your computer? This error that you are facing could be happening because of some confliting services so I would recommend you to perform a Clean boot process and then check the results. Just go to this link and follow the steps - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. After following the method, you should set the computer to start in Normal mode.