Thread: Does deleting partition from a drive will wipe out all the data

Does deleting partition from a drive will wipe out all the data

I need some help to wipe out the data of my old hard drive. I had used that for keeping all my photos, videos and a lot of password. I am going to sell of my pc. My friend is buying that. And he is quiet expert in computers. He is working for a data recovery firm. I want some way through which I can completely wipe out each and every file from the drive. One of my friend suggested me to delete all the partition through windows bootable disc. And then install windows back again by creating new partition. This will completely delete everything from the computer. But I am not sure that this is some kind of foolproof solution.

Re: Does deleting partition from a drive will wipe out all the data

Hi Tejjas,
    Based on your post I'd like to assist you. You may try to use the following steps to delete all your data.
    1) You can try to install the new windows. While installing that you have to delete all the partition created on your hard drive.
    2) While installing the windows create a new one partition and change the file format such as if its FAT32 change it to NTFS and if NTFS change to FAT32. Once you have done the changes, it will change the sequence of the file format. So it will be very rare to recover any data from your computer.
    I hope it will help you.

You have to use third party programs for that. Or else it is not going to work. And there are many type of software on the web that can help. Deleting partition is not the ultimate solution. It is possible to restore that partition. There is one more software you can try out. it is called as HardWipe. It is quiet popular tool that is used for completely removing all the files from your pc. It is quiet easy to use. This tool has different type of erasing algorithm that makes it almost impossible to locate the deleted files. It is not at all possible to recover the files once they are completely deleted. Just use this and then re-install windows. That will be enough to fix the issue.

smile Re: Does deleting partition from a drive will wipe out all the data

Yes it does work. Your data will completely wipe out. Infact it is important for you as you are giving your hard drive to some one else so such precautions are important. If still you have a doubt about your data wiping then i would suggest professional services would help you in this. Rest the decision is yours.

There is one more software you can try out. You can try using File Shredder. It is similar to a permanent erasing software. This tool will help you to get rid of your data so that you can sell your hard drive without worrying about the recovery thing. I use this tool, because it was before used in my office. Before shifting my boss run this software to wipe out all the data from the pc. So that it cannot get leaked. There were several papers which were having
    records of various transaction. And this can be a benefit to the competitor. Just try out File Shredder. As the name says it is a good and reliable software to go for.