Thread: What to do with old log files in Mac pc

What to do with old log files in Mac pc

I just found that a large amount of hard drive space is occupied by some old log files. What should I do with them. I do not really understand how this thing is created. I want to know what is the safest way to get rid of this thing. I hope after removing this would not cause any major issue in the system. Can I manually move the to trash and then clear the trash also. I hope this is not some kind of security issue in the mac system. This is the first time I saw so many log files generated so randomly in the mac system and they are still increasing day by day.

Re: What to do with old log files in Mac pc

There will be no big issue in cleaning the same. I know a few commands that might help you to get rid of this log files. For that you have to go in terminal and you will have to type sudo rm -rf /private/var/log/*. Then the next thing you have to do is type sudo rm -rf /private/var/folders/. And done this will wipe out a huge amount of log files from the system. This log files are generated from saving files, chat messenger logs, application backups, etc. It is easy to delete them. This will not cause issue even if you manually delete the same.

Re: What to do with old log files in Mac pc

I am going to provide you two simple ways to get rid of this login file. The first one is simply deleting them from the folder. You have to go in Finder for that and there you have to type /Library/Logs to enter the folder where all logs files are there. You have to choose all of them and then press Command + Backspace from your keyboard. Once you are done with this just restart your mac system and done. This will be easier way of getting rid of log flies. There is another option you can try out. You can use a free tool CleanMyMac 2 for the same. It is an automatic way of removing all the log files from the pc.