Thread: OneNote 2013 Free error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

OneNote 2013 Free error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I was using the OneNote 2013 free edition on my Windows 8.1 computer without any problems for months. Now, I dont know, why all of a sudden this application just doesnt want to open anymore? I have already tried to reinstall it from the CD, have done repair, online repair, etc; but still it will not open at all. All I get is the below error message after launching it -

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ONENOTE.EXE
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: OneNote 2013 Free error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Can you tell us whether this is the OneNote Win32 desktop edition software or the Windows Store app edition? Have you tried using the Advanced Uninstaller Pro 11 which has an option to back any Registry entries which are to be correcter or deleted? Have you got the Office suite installed or a separate Office program installed? Was the OneNote application came preinstalled on your computer or have you installed it on your pc? I will not recommend to delete anything for now.

Re: OneNote 2013 Free error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

If the OneNote came preinstalled then it means that its an OEM machine. Can you try to download CCleaner which is the most recommended software for cleaning all corrupt registry keys and then you can try to reinstall the software once again. With this sofyware you can also use the backup option and can always add the registry keys back. Normally, due to corrupt registry entries some software does not install properly in the computer, so use this tool for solving the problem.

Even I was getting the same problem with OneNote on my computer. So to solve it I just uninstalled the complete package of Office suite and then reinstalled it again. Now OneNote is working fine just as before and I didnt even loose any of my saved documents. If you dont have office suite with you, then first uninstall all the OneNote application from your pc and then download and install it again by going to this website - http://www.onenote.com/download