Thread: Windows 7 backup failed with errors 0x807800A1

Windows 7 backup failed with errors 0x807800A1

I am having a bit problem while copying all my files to my external hard drive. I am using the default backup of windows 7. I have a 500GB external hard drive. When I try to do the same I am getting a 0x807800A1 and the entire backup fails. I am also trying to copy the system image file that I had created at the time of installation. But this things fail to work. It is simply so annoying. The backup is taking hours to complete. What should I do. I do not have any other copy of the system image.

Re: Windows 7 backup failed with errors 0x807800A1

To overcome this issue, please follow the steps are given below:

Method 1:
    Check Volume shadow copy service in services window. To check it follow these steps:
    i) Click on Start and type on search box ‘Services’
    ii) Right Click on Run as Administrator

Check if the below defined services has mentioned status and start up type.
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Started Automatic

And also check dependency services that are required for ‘VSCS’(Volume Shadows Copy Service) to run. To check that double click on Service and click dependency tab.

Method 2:
    Disable Firewall, Antivirus from your PC and check if the issue still persists. When the issue resolves, then you might need to uninstall software or reinstall it back and change settings and check.

Method 3:
    Also check drive for Errors, For doing that, please follow the steps are given below:

• Open your PC by clicking the start button and then clicking Computer.

• Right Click on Drive that you want to check & simply click on Properties.

• Click on the Tools tab under Error – checking, Click Check now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type password and provide confirmation.

• To Automatically resolve issue with files & folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors, then click Start.

The first thing you have to do is first format your external hard drive. If you have important data in that then backup the same first. After when you are done with it, then connect the hard drive to your pc. Use the back usb ports. Do not use a hub or front port. And then start the backup once again. Properly connect the drive and try again. If the backup fails then manually copy paste the entire Windows image folder in the drive. It is not necessary to use the backup application. It will do the job. Try to do in safe mode. It will be a lot more faster.

I do not really trust on Windows backup. I try another software that is far more reliable and safe to use. And you have to do very less settings on the same. In Windows Backup you have a lots of limited things to do while in a third party tool you have so many options. I am using a free tool called a EaseUS Todo Backup Free. This one has a simple interface to use and has many options that can be configured quiet easily compared to any other stuff.

Try to change the cable that you are using for the backup. I am quiet sure that will help you in fixing the issue. You can easily find a small micro usb cable and you can try testing the same. You can also try putting the same on some other working port. The next thing you can do is before configuring the backup you must try to check the driver for bad sectors. You can run disk defragmentation on the same. And that will surely help a lot.

There are few windows internal troubleshooting software that can really help you to deal with the problem. You can run that to find out what is the problem. The best software that you can try out is System File Checker. IT is a slow and long process but it will tell you in the what thing is actually causing the issue. For that boot your in safe mode first. Then launch cmd and in that type sfc /scannow and hit enter. Let the tool run. It might ask you the windows DVD.

There is a huge set of solution provided on the official forums of Microsoft. And I had tried all those stuff when I got the same error. It is true that the internal backup solution of windows is not really reliable. Going for a third party software is lot more better. And you can find that on the web. One tool which I will recommend you is Cobain Backup. The software is simple and has a easy to use interface. It has a few set of settings you can go for.