Thread: Skype video chat not working on Linux

Skype video chat not working on Linux

There is some issue with Skype messenger. I am trying to go for video chat on Ubuntu but it is not working. I want some help here to fix this thing. I want a simple video chat utility for Ubuntu pc. I thought Skype will work well, because I am ready using this on my windows pc. It provide a good audio quality and the simple interface is easier for many to use. I had tried to check all the settings. The connection gets terminated instantly. While the same on windows work well. I have a 1mbps connection which I think is enough for video chat.

Re: Skype video chat not working on Linux

Disconnection type of thing occur when the internet is fluctuating. And you can find that through ping command. Just verify once that your internet is active. Windows and Linux works in different way. In Windows, the software might be able to keep the connection active, but in Linux it mights top working or crash. There are very few video chatting software available for Linux. You can try finding ample of new software which can provide you the same kind of support. Just test some other.

If Skype is not working then you can try something else. There are many web based video chat software that operate directly in the browser. And all you have to do is create account on that. I had seen Skype has problem on Linux based platform. Not only Skype, but many similar software are having this kind of problem. There is nothing much you can do. You can try finding out a good video chatting software in the software center and I am quiet sure you can find something.

Try Empathy. This might work. I think you can use your Skype id in that. I had never done this, still you can test the same. Empathy is a free chat messenger with many benefits. By default it comes pre-installed in Ubuntu. And it offer you various chat account support. It supports text, voice and video chatting. Just download this and configure your Skype account on the same. And then test back. You dont have to create a new account in this. I was using yahoo on the same that worked really well.

If Skype fails to work then there is one more application you can try and it is the best one I think. You can go with Gtalk. It is really amazing video calling and chatting software. This one provide you a simple ui and it is available for variety of platform. You just have to create a gmail account on the same and configure the video chat plugin. That's it. I am using this from long time and I had not found anything better than this. Also one thing compare to Skype and other video chat it is also very light to use.

Instead of using a application which might fail to work you can go with web based chatting. I know one that I use to chat with my friends in night time. It is called as ubiqq. Just go on that and simply start chatting with your friends in video mode. You must have a good internet connection for the same. On slow internet this might fail to work properly. Also update your system with latest flash and java plugin. If you found this less helpful then you can go with OpenMeetings. It is also a web based video chat tool.