Thread: How does folder redirection works in windows server

How does folder redirection works in windows server

I want simple information on folder redirection. How it actually works. I am having bit issue with configuration. As far as I know it is not working. I have a document with me that but that is too complicated to understand. I am unable to figure out how to make this proper. Many users are saying that they are unable to get their settings. They always get a different desktop when they login. I had seen a few videos on youtube. I am following the same settings.

Re: How does folder redirection works in windows server

Folder redirection works by replicating user settings and user files. This are mostly stored in the pc where a user sites. But in a big environment there are users who switch their position. And this folder redirection will help them to replicate the desktop also. It is easy to manage. You just have to configure it properly. If it is not working then there is some issue in your server. You have to check the settings once again. And that would really help.

One of the most common thing that people face is disappearing folder redirection. Even after applying the settings the folder settings will disappear and you wont be able to get saved profile. It is hard to stop this thing. Because here when a user login to a new pc his user data is pulled on that system and removed from the old one. Now I am not really sure there is a way through which you can prevent this. The server itself must maintain the copy.

When you are configuring this for the first time it is very important to understand the user role for the same. If the user role is not really proper then you can face issue like this. Like if there is a Local Administrator configured then you must enable things like full Control, or access to a specific folder or sub-folders only. Or you can also limit the same to the specific files. So that your folder permission are not modified and generate redirection problem.

I am going to provide you a link through which you can simply figure out and fix the redirection policy settings. It is easy and simple to manage. Once you are done with the settings and you are getting issue with the same then the below link has ample of information on the same. Just go the below link and checkout the complete article on the same. This will be enough to resolve the problem.

Fixing Folder Redirection policy settings