Thread: Migrating a virtual machine to a new pc

Migrating a virtual machine to a new pc

I have a virtual machine configured on a mac system that has a Windows 7 running on the same. There is another one which is on windows pc and has windows 8. Now I want a bit help to migrate the Windows 8 virtual machine to a new one How to do that. It will be easier for me. I have configured a few applications on that which are used for cloud backup. If I re-install a new one then all settings will be wiped out. I just want some simple migration procedure.

Re: Migrating a virtual machine to a new pc

It is possible. You can backup and restore the same. If you are using vmware then I am going to provide you a link below. This link provide you more detail on the installation and migration part. Just refer to the same and checkout what you are actually looking for. This guide will explain you more detail about working with vmware. Just refer to the link and migrate on the basis of procedure available in it.

Vmware Migration Guide

It is possible. But I am not really sure after migrating the virtual machine is going to work well. It can be crashing or cause problem. It is essential that you must migrate it and test it first, before removing or deleting the content of your old machine. That will cause problem if you just delete the same after copying. I had never tested this migration thing so I am not clearly sure how it really works. It is essential that you must test it first.

There are different migration process for different virtual software. Like Vmware or Vsphere. The settings are quiet different. And I know that it works well. I had downloaded various virtual OS pack directly from internet and added them in vmware. It starts working fine. There is no issue with the same. So if you are having vmware then you just have to right click on the same and copy it. You have to import that in new system and you can use it.