Thread: News reader application for Ubuntu

News reader application for Ubuntu

Where to find a good news reader type of app for Ubuntu. A application that can manage all my news website at one place. I am trying to find something simple, but the application that I find are very basic. In some you can just see some news with clickable links. I have around 50news website which I read daily. I want to checkout only top news here and a news reader app can help me to simply organize everything at one place. Something like Flipboard.

Re: News reader application for Ubuntu

For Linux we have a very few support. What you have to do is get a good rss reader based thing that can help you to get your entire news at one place. The best tool according to me is Thunderbird. This is a nice email client that comes with rss feed support in the same. You can subscribe to various news on the same and you can get all required details at one place. Just test that on your system and see. I had used this for rss also.

If you need a dedicate application for the same then you need something like Thinfeeder. This is a complete news reader app which comes with various options. It has a simple interface with lot of options. Like you can see rss properties, you can import opml, you can also refresh feed on the basis of user interaction, etc. There are lots of thing in the same and it is very easy to use. Due to simple interface it works on minimum settings.

Long back for a project work on Linux I was using Canto. It is a very basic but fast news reader. It has a terminal based ui where you just get text and it is really fast. You can manage 100 of sites on the same and it does not cause any impact no the system resource. You wont be able to see any images or anything on the same. Just plane text. And if you need something with more better UI then you have to go with Liferea.

LightRead is considered as the best news reader application for Ubuntu. The best part of this application is its user interface. It has a three column layout. At the left you have folders through which you can arrange your rss. At the center you can see headlines with some text and at the right you can see the entire news with image when you select any headline. So this makes your job much more easier. You can arrange your news site on basis of folders.

I agree with the above one. I am also using LightRead. I was using Thunderbird before, but it gets slow down at launch. This application download mails and rss both whenever I start it and it takes time to load properly. Compare to that LightRead is really fast and simple. It works smoothly and also offer a offline support. That means once you had synced your news you can check then anytime you want. You don't need active internet for the same.