Thread: Unable to save Office 2011 files on Mac shared folder

Unable to save Office 2011 files on Mac shared folder

I am trying to save a few Excel file on Mac shared folder. But when I trying to do that the system just freeze for sometime. Then I get a error that can't browse network shares. This is a weird problem. I can do the same thing manually. I can copy paste the files. But when I am trying to do the same through Microsoft Office it is crashing or giving me the error. What can be the problem.

Re: Unable to save Office 2011 files on Mac shared folder

There are chances that the folder where you are trying to save files is not having maximum permission and you fell on that error. So the firs thing you have to do is see the folder that you are trying to save is having proper permission or not. If it has then the issue can be with office. But if not then you have reconfigure the folder back again. This will be more helpful. Then try to save the file back again. This would help.

This is a permission issue only. I had faced this when I was trying to move some audio files in a local storage. It was a mac server. The most easiest thing you can do is use is Repair Privileges Utility. This utility is the best way to fix the permission issue. Just download this from the official website and run the same. This will scan your system and restore the permission thing and then try to save the file once again.

Can be some issue with the location I think. Just re-verify that you are able to access that shared folder. Just for test create a new folder in your hard drive and share it. Then try to access that directly when you are saving file. If still it does not work better copy paste the files in shared location. You have to contact some guy who is good in networking and will be able to find solution for your problem.

I had got this issue on Windows. I was creating a few project file and then saving them directly on the lan storage. When I try to save I got a error about location. I found that the folder where I am saving is having only read only permission. Later on I added read and write permission by rightclicking on that. And then it worked. You have to check that. See that the folder has full permission for modification.

The place where you are saving the file consist of which operating system. Is it windows or mac. If the pc on the lan is not on mac then there can be connectivity issue between them both. But if it is Mac then it must work. So the first thing you can do is try to save the file in some other place but in the same pc by creating a new folder. If this works then the folder has problem, as mentioned above it can be a permission issue.

I was getting Error code -36 when I was trying to do the same thing. It was not working and I tried many ways to resolve but all failed to work. The only difference here is that instead of storing it on a shared file location I was saving this on NAS. I am not able to figure out what is the problem here. I have to restore the entire thing back to fix the problem and it worked. It is just like re-installing everything back from scratch.

It can be problematic if you try to sync the folders of two different OS platform. I had deal with similar problem when I was trying to create a Linux file server. I had installed Ubuntu on that and files where shared through Samba. After configuration many users complain about the file sync. They get error on the pc when they are trying to save. That is because of low privileges. But later on I configured windows server which work with any errors.

I also think this is some kind of permission problem. We have work-group on windows. You can configure the pc to work on different work-groups. Just check once that the mac system which you are using is on the same work-group or not. If not then you have to configure the settings. It is important for all system on the same work-group to access and share files. Without that you might face issue with locating the default folder location.

There are few things you can try from the below link. Below you can find troubleshooting help for fixing file sharing problems. It mostly cover commands to control and manage file permission. If you are not able to get any help from the Repair Privileges Utility then you can use the command reference to change file permissions. Just checkout the link for more detailed information.

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X