Thread: How to recover unsaved files in Office 2011 Mac

How to recover unsaved files in Office 2011 Mac

How to recover a unsaved file in Office 2011 on Mac platform. I am looking for some solution for the same. I had accidentally turned off my pc without saving a few files. I had downloaded them from my email and edited it. Is there a way to recover those information. It is extremely important. I do not even remmeber those things. It was a huge 6 page file. I had tried searching but I am getting the old downloaded file.

Re: How to recover unsaved files in Office 2011 Mac

You can try using Spotlight. Just try to search for the files through that and I am quiet sure you will be able to locate the file. The file is only recoverable if you have enabled auto-recover. For that you have to go in Word > Preferences > Save > Save Auto-recover. If this is turned on then there is high chances of recovering the file. But if not then you cannot do anything. Just try to check in the temp folder. You might find the file there.

There is a recover items folder and I think you can get the old version of file in that. It is always good to keep auto-save on. The new version of Office has a option to recover the old file. It happens that sometime the system turn off and you lost the unsaved data. But automatically when you launch Word or Excel you get a popup about recovering a file. And if you are not getting that then go in Finder > Go > Go to Folders. In the that type /private/var/folders. Look for Word Work File.

I think it is not possible to recovery that file. Because you had not saved it. It is only possible to recover if you had enabled autosave. Or else it will be complicated to find the same. I do not think there is any tool available that can save your existing work when you are working. I had lost many data due to this. That is the reason I keep autosave always on because it really help to recover file later on.

You can get that file if you know the auto-recover location. Or else it is not possible. I had seen this in word. I can show you the process from where you can find the auto recover location. For that you have to go in Word Option and then click on Save. Scroll down to Save Documents. Below you can see Auto-recover file location. You can go in that place and recovery the file. It will remain until you wipe you the temp folder.

It is complicated. I have some thing that you can try. Finder can help you to locate old files with different version date. I had seen the filters in it. You have to choose the location or file and then you have to choose the last modified date. There are chances that you might get a old file back. I am really sure whether this thing work or not. You can try it and check back. If not then I do not think you can do anything to get the old data.

I am using AutoRecover option here. This is one of the best way to recover files whenever any application crashes. It happens commonly in Windows and Mac both. That sometime while working in between Word or Excel just crashes instantly. And you are unable to get the old data. For that you must keep AutoRecover always on. This is kind of life saver. Whenever you exit word improperly auto-recover keeps a file version saved.

Best is to use AutoBackup. This method is far more effective compared to auto recover. You can just enable this and just a copy of file is saved that you can use to get your old data back. One version of your file is always saved which make your job more easier. Just enable the functionality now itself. So next time if this kind of issue appear it will be easier for you to get the file back.