Thread: Hard drive failure notifier for Windows 8

Hard drive failure notifier for Windows 8

I want a tool that give me warning notification when my hard drive is about to die. I am having a Windows 8 system where there are total 4 hard drive. One is new which is a 1TB drive and other three are old. One among them is 80GB IDE drive connected through SATA to IDE convertor. I am using this three drives to store my data. One among this for data backup. The drives work really slow. I want some tool through which I can analyze the drives health.

Re: Hard drive failure notifier for Windows 8

It is good to keep non-important files on those drives. It will be very complicated if you loose them. I have a secondary drive that is around 160GB. I use it to keep movies and it work fine. But it is slow. I do not really trust to keep backup files on that. I had copied files on multiple places so that if something happen it will be easier for me to recover. I am going to buy one more hard drive and will remove this.

There are few tools that you can test. But you cannot do if the drive is heated up. You must move all your files from it. I am using Seagate SeaTools. This tool is quiet good that can help you to simply scan and locate problem with the drive. This tool comes in windows and dos based format. Use the Windows edition that is more easier. It will give you hard drive health status and on that basis you can replace the drive.

I do not think there is any software that can give you notification when the drive is going to die. Most of this will give you real-time data. You have to keep them on all time. There is no effective hardware monitor available. Especially for internal storage. I had used various tools that gives warning when there is some serious hardware issue in the system. But they do not give you prior notification for that.

I am using HDDScan. I am using this for two hard drive. Both are 1TB drive and looks be working well. But from last couple of month I am having problem with the performance. This thing are very slow. And disk defragmentation is also not working. I scanned the drive that showed the drives are ok. But still I have to check daily. There are chances that they might turn off instantly and I might loose everything.

It can be your operating system also. You have to test everything. You can try testing with some different tools available. Like DiskCheckup. It is quiet effective. This tool will give you a detail information on the drive health. You can then simply replace the drive. But they will not give you any prior notice. To stay on the safer side always keep a backup of your data in some other place. Or else you will keep on facing problems.

Driver fitness test are only less helpful. They just provide you information on the drives. That you can find in the bios. For keeping things effective it is essential that you must use a good backup software. Some tool that can automatically move your data from one place to another. I am using Nova Backup. There is a shared folder on the lan where all data is transferred. Keeping data on different places is always recommended.