Thread: default location of Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 7

default location of Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 7

I am running Windows 7 in my pc and want to know where is Windows Photo Viewer default location on this operating system? I want to set this as a default program for opening some picture files since the program that I run wants those specific file associations to be made. When ever I try to set Windows Photo Viewer as the default program then windows will ask me to browse for the application and I cannot find it. So if there is anyone who can help me out then it would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: default location of Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 7

I use Windows Photo Gallery and I usually type Windows Photo Viewer exe in the search bar that can be found in Start menu and then I right click on it and choose to open file location. If you want to make the Windows Photo Viewer the default program then right click on a photo and choose to Open with and then select Choose Default Program and then select Photo viewer from the list and tick mark to use this program for files of this type in the checkbox given below.

For Windows Photo Viewer there doesnt seem to be any executable file since it is not a standalone application. Also, you wont be able to execure it as an application rather it runs with dllhost.exe. You can find the location of the dll file for Photo Viewer in this path - C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll. You do not need to find the executable files to link picture files to the application.

The Windows Photo Viewer program is an instance of dllhost.exe that wont be invoked directly by the user. You can find out the location of any executable by running the task manager. To do that, open the application for which you want to locate the executable file. After that right click on taskbar and then choose Start Task Manager. Now right click on application like Windows Photo Viewer and then choose "Go to process". Now right click on the exe file and choose "open file location" and it will open the exe file of that application.