Thread: Compressing a high size mp3 to smaller

Compressing a high size mp3 to smaller

I have a mp3 audio file which is a kind of audio book. It was in video format before. So I converted to a audio file through VLC. The video size was around 150mb and when I made a mp3 out of that it was also of same size. I want to reduce that so that I can fit that in my phone. 150mb is just too high. The audio player also lags sometime when I skip the file ahead.

Re: Compressing a high size mp3 to smaller

Why don't you break that into parts. Divide that into 5 to 10 parts chapter wise. That would be much more easier and simple. You can then move the set of files in your phone and leave others aside. I do this always for big size file. And it works well. It is also easy to delete the files which are not required. If you try to reduce the size then it might affect the audio quality.

You can do that if your phone is capable of reading AAC file format. It is a apple audio file format commonly used in iPods. All you have to do is download and install iTunes in your system. Then you can simply add the file in iTunes library and convert that to AAC. AAC is lighter compared to MP3 but it manages the file size. It also does not affect the audio quality.

It is possible to reduce the size but for that you have to reduce the bit-rate. Remember that this will affect the maximum audio output. If you are going to use headphones then this does not matter much. Download any good audio convertor software. At the time of convertor go in settings or advance option and checkout the bit-rate. Reduce that. I think keeping that on 64 will be enough.

You can also use Audacity to reduce the bitrate, it's free and works great.