Thread: How to remove faded background from scanned pages of old book

How to remove faded background from scanned pages of old book

I have scanned around 20 pages of a old book. It has written text on it. The scanner has grayed out background. I want to remove that and make it white. I cannot type those thing on word because of fonts. I want the thing exactly as it is but with white background. So that I can use it again in future. I tried to open the image in paint brush. But it does not has any good option through which I can remove the background. The text remains intact and it looks more ugly with patches.

Re: How to remove faded background from scanned pages of old book

Paint brush cannot help you in getting rid of that. You can just remove some portion not the part which has text. Here you have to take help from some person who knows to use Photoshop or experienced in dtp.

Try Photoshop. If you don't have you can download and test trail edition. In that you have a option through which you can crate a png image. Png images don't have background. And if your scanned images only have two color then it is more easy to remove the background. The text will remain intact. For that open your images in Photoshop. You have to unlock the layer. Keep a backup of your photos ready with you so that if in case there is any issue you can restore them. Once you open the image use the magic wand tool. This tool wil automatically select the background. Go slowly. Keep on selecting a small portion and hit the delete button. Then to release selection press Ctrl + D. In this way you can accurately remove all the background. If text are small zoom them to maximum You must be able to see all the text clearly. You have to do a bit practice in using Magic wand tool.

It is not easy to get rid of those grayed out background. You have to regenerate the text. Try to use a ocr tool here. It is possible that this tool might read the text of that file and give you only digital text which you can paste in word.