Thread: How to fix ATIKMDAG.sys type errors for AMD GPU

How to fix ATIKMDAG.sys type errors for AMD GPU

Want some help to deal with display driver stopped working error on my system. I have a dual gpu support. Both are amd graphic card. I had gone with certain changes recently and started getting this error. I need some help to fix this. The file which I found which is causing the problem is atikmdag.sys. I did not find this file in the driver folder which I had downloaded from AMD. How to fix the problem.

Re: How to fix ATIKMDAG.sys type errors for AMD GPU

Atikmdag is the display driver. If you are getting a error like this then you have to re-install the old drivers back again. Sometime new drivers is not compatible and cause this kind of issue. So you can try to install the older version once again and try back.

The driver is crashing due to which you are getting the problem. The files which are associated with this are ATIKMDAG.sys, ATI2DVAG.sys, ATI2CQAG.dll, ATIVPK.sys, AMD2DVAG.sys, AMDKMDAG.sys & AMDVPK.sys. The best way to troubleshoot all this thing is to add the latest drivers. You can download the same from the official website of your gpu manufacturer. I am also linking a KB article below. This article has more detailed information on fixing the crashing driver problem. There is one more way to fix the issue. You can go ahead with a third party driver update software called as DriverEasy. This tool is available on web. I am using this to run a auto driver update. It is easy to manage and works really well and has no performance issue also.

Troubleshoot Display driver stopped responding

The only way through which you can fix the same is by re-installing it. But if it is still crashing then try to use a older version. Do not update. Ignore the update notification about any version you get.