Thread: Adobe Photoshop is not using my gpu and lags while editing raw images

Adobe Photoshop is not using my gpu and lags while editing raw images

I don't understand whether this is a problem or not. But I am unable to edit my photos. I am using Adobe Photoshop here. Before I was not having a graphic card. And the ram was around 1GB. Then I upgraded my system to 2GB ram and added a budget gpu. I want a more fluent performance. The system really worked fine, but I had not seen any changes in Adobe Photoshop. Does this tool uses gpu. It is lagging when I try to modify some hd raw images.

Re: Adobe Photoshop is not using my gpu and lags while editing raw images

Adobe Photoshop do use your video card for giving you more better output. But there can be some problem. The best thing you can do here is run a fresh update for graphic driver. This is the best way to resolve the matter. New driver update resolve the problem of application usage.

If you have any of this issue then the best thing is to re-install the software. This is the easiest way to get rid of problem. Somehow it happens when you get new updates other apps become unstable. Re-installing reset all the settings and fix the problem. Adobe Photoshop uses Mercury Graphic Engine. This thing uses the gpu and accelerate the usage. There are some effects which take benefit from the gpu offering you clear output. The effects which do this thing are liquify, lighting effects, etc. All effects does not use the gpu. Only there are few which are using it. And that also in CS6 or higher. This edition uses OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. The first thing you have to see that verify your gpu supports this thing or not. If it does then you cannot enable it. Photoshop internally manages everything. There are no specific settings available that boost or update this thing.

Find some updates for it. It will resolve the matter. By default the application take benefit from the gpu. But there are a few set of plugins which use it. If you are using any 3D animation software then you have to worry much about the gpu usage.

Adobe Photoshop is a image editor. The tool allow you to have some additional effects on your picture screen. I have a laptop which has Intel HD 4000 graphic support. On this the software is working fine. I can add some nice effects. In your issue I think certain features are disabled which need a dedicated video memory. To enable them back you have to first update your gpu drivers. It is possible that the application is unable to locate the same. The second thing you can do is re-install Photoshop once again. This is also very easy and effective. When you install it back all settings inside the same is restored and it becomes easier for you to manage it.

Looks like ram issue to me. It is not a gpu problem. You will have to run a ram test tool. This test software will provide you details if there is any ram issue in your system or not. Sometime rom problem is one of the most common issue which cause this problem.

GPU acceleration benefit the application to perform better and give more proper output. The new edition of Photoshop is more better offering an e engine which offer instant results and smooth output. If this is not working then you will be not able to use some effects like warp, lightning effect, etc. That's all. All other things will be working fine. The CS6 is powered by Mercury Graphics Engine which uses the gpu. It also uses OpenGL and OpelCL. All you have to do is find a card that is compatible. Even if you having regular on-board vga graphics it will work. But that must not be very old. You can find the settings for the same in Edit > Preferences. In that you can find a Performance section where you can find gpu settings. Just click on Advance and you can find a number of different options. You can choose the from various modes and test out whether the applications is working fine or not.

I never had a issue in using Photoshop. I am using it from long time and I don't have a gpu. I have a onboard video memory which looks enough for Corel Draw and photoshop. I am using CS5 here and not upgraded to the new edition.