Thread: Windows 8 Error 0x80240437 while download apps from Store

Windows 8 Error 0x80240437 while download apps from Store

Hi, this is Dell laptop with Windows 8. I am using this past eight months without any problem. I also keep it updated with all recent updates. But something went wrong two days ago. Suddenly my store wont allow me to download anything now. I have already downloaded over 100s of apps and games from the store but now everytime i try to download anything, it gives me an error message saying: Error Code 0x80240437.

There is no reason provided so that i can troubleshoot the same, only error code. hence i dont have any idea about it. However my internet is working, i'm logged in my Live ID, everything seems fine. Then why is that error? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Windows 8 Error 0x80240437 while download apps from Store

This is because of some file corruption in an folder named "SoftwareDistribution". Those files need to be repaired in order to fix the problem. Here is how you can do the same.

• First of all open Services Applet by running "services.msc" command in RUN Box (Win + R key).
    • Now located 'Background Intelligent Transfer service' scrolling down, right click and Stop this service.
    • Scroll down more and stop "Windows Update service" service as well.
    • Now open Windows Explorer and open this path "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\".
    • Select all files and folders in this folder, right click and Delete.
    • Once deleted, go back to Services and Right Click > Start both services which we stopped.
    • Reboot the system to effect the changes and see if still you get the same problem.

Re: Windows 8 Error 0x80240437 while download apps from Store

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    This is because of some file corruption in an folder named "SoftwareDistribution". Those files need to be repaired in order to fix the problem.
    Hey i am getting the same error code on my Windows 8.1 Preview also. First of all thank you for sharing that useful info, it really helped me to fix the problem one of my win 8 running PC. Now as the files are crucial i wanted to know whether it is safe to delete the files in 8.1's SoftwareDistribution folder? Please reply soon.