Thread: VB6 in Windows 8

VB6 in Windows 8

I have a desktop computer on which I am running Windows 8. After when I checked in the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant it suggests that Visual Basic 6 software can be installed in Windows 8. But if I am trying to install it then it tells me that VB6 is not supported? I only know how to use VB6 and not vb.net or anything else. So does anyone know a way around. Thanks.

Re: VB6 in Windows 8

As per the support page that is linked below, VB6 should work in Windows 8, even though it is not supported since the last 5 years. Also, it was written that only 32bit versions of Windows 8 and 64bit was not tested and it will not work at all. So, if you are trying to install this on Windows 8 64bit then it will not work. You can test it on 32bit OS if you would like.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

I am also facing a similar problem on Windows 8 64bit. When I installed VB6 first time then it was getting installed properly without even running it as administrator but after the installation was done it used to lock up and I had to end task in the Task Manager. Now I am using different VB versions like VB.NET 2008 and 2010 but I have to learn this new languages now.

You can try to install and run Virtual Machine and then install Windows XP or Windows 7 in it. After that you can easily install VB6 on these operating systems if you want. There was a used who was able to install Visual Studio 6.0 with Service Pack 6 on Windows 32 64bit but no information was given on how did he do that.