Thread: Unable to use Skydrive on Windows 8.1

Unable to use Skydrive on Windows 8.1

I am using SkyDrive since long time regularly, infact it is my default cloud folder containing huge number of important data. Two days ago i upgraded my Windows 8 based HP laptop to new Windows 8.1 Preview successfully, everything is working good. But when i try to open SkyDrive, it wont opens, instead gives me an error message saying:

“To connect to your SkyDrive, you need to go to PC settings and update Windows.”

What updates is it talking about, this is latest version and have already ran the updates. But still the problem remains. Any help would be appreciated. I need to access my skydrive, its very important. Please help.

Re: Unable to use Skydrive on Windows 8.1

Did you installed the Windows Updates after upgrading to 8.1? I had the same problem on my system. After doing some R&D i finally decided to run Windows update and installed every thing. Next time when i restarted the system and tried to access Sky Drive, it launched and worked fine. So i think there was something in updates which was required by SkyDrive. You can give it a try. Let me know if it helps to make sure it is the perfect solution for this error.

Quote Originally Posted by AJAMU View Post
    So i think there was something in updates which was required by SkyDrive. You can give it a try. Let me know if it helps to make sure it is the perfect solution for this error.
    Your guess was right AJAMU, SkyDrive requires Windows update after upgrading to Windows 8.1. I did the same and now there is no more such error for my SkyDrive.

Thank you very much for the help.

Hey guys, I have a very similar problem. Even I am getting the same error message while trying to launch SkyDrive. But as you guys discovered that Windows Update will fix the problem, it is bit difficult job for me because I am on a very slow network. If I go for updating each patches it will take 2 to 3 days for me.

So I wanted to know specifically which is the one update that fixes this problem?

There are actually two updates which can fix the SkyDrive problem in Windows 8, those are KB2868581 and KB2871052. I dont think that any of these updates are available for standalone download anywhere. You will need to get them from Windows Update. Run the updates, uncheck all others and install only these two. Restart the PC and problem will be fixed.