Thread: Skype crashes my Windows 8.1

Skype crashes my Windows 8.1

I am in serious problem since upgraded to Windows 8.1 preview. I did a clean install of 8.1 Preview with its ISO image, didn't upgraded from the Microsoft Store over my existing windows 8. Installation went fine but there were some problems related to drivers, anyways, i fixed them all and it works good now fortunately.

Now the only problem i am facing is with Skype. As per my professional work, i need to interact with my clients every now and then over Skype. It is very important for me. But when i use Skype on this new 8.1 Preview, after running it for few minutes, it crashes the system. My desktop reboots itself. I am sure this is happening with skype itself as i tested the system for two days without skype, there was no crash. It only crashes when i run skype.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Skype crashes my Windows 8.1

Many times after upgrading to Windows 8.1, many drivers and programs gets disabled or starts behaving weird. Hence what we do is re-install every thing to make them work fine. So what i can suggest you is, simply uninstall the skype, delete its installation folder and try re-installing the latest version again.

Note, this can be done with the desktop version of Skype only. If you are using the Skype Metro app, then go to Microsoft Store and update the same. It should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanga View Post
    Note, this can be done with the desktop version of Skype only. If you are using the Skype Metro app, then go to Microsoft Store and update the same. It should work fine.
    Thanks for replying Ekanga. I am suing the Metro Skype app. As you said I went to the store but it says only as ‘Installed’. How can I update it? Also when I checked the version, it appears like I have the most recent version already installed on my computer as shown in the store.

What to do now? Any other help please?

Well the only thing I can suggest you is to a System Refresh. I have seen several people facing many problems after updating to 8.1 Preview. And I believe this is because the installed applications conflict with the new OS. So performing System Refresh will uninstall all those application and clean up your system as well. Once done, simply install them again from store of if you have the setup files for desktop version apps. Hopefully there wont be any problem again. Yu can find System Refresh option under PC Settings.