Thread: Tera copy very slow on moving 5GB of data on Windows XP

Tera copy very slow on moving 5GB of data on Windows XP

I am using Tera Copy on my old Windows XP system. The computer has a very old accounting software. It manages all bills of a society. Now I am trying to backup all those files to a new pc. There might be more than 2000 files which is 5GB in total. I copied them all and pasted it on laptop via lan sharing. But Tera copy takes a really long time to movie. At sometime it just halt in between doing nothing.

Re: Tera copy very slow on moving 5GB of data on Windows XP

Try to copy that in some external drive. Like a usb or external hard drive. This would be more faster and easier. Also you can maintain a different set of copies at different places. And then move them in any other working system.

Do not copy all the files at the same time. There might be a corrupt or damage file in the between which is causing the issue. I got the same problem when I was trying to move a game folders in my usb. It was really slow. The total data was around 2GB only. But it takes more than 2 hrs to transfer. When you transfer a file, a new copy is created on the destination. The system tries to read the file information and if there is any issue, if there is anything missing or damage then the entire process is affected. The easy way to fix this thing is to copy a small chunk of file manually one by one. In this way you can find out which file is having issue and you can ignore it. Sometime if you copy the same slowly there are chances of getting complete data. You can begin with copying 200 to 300mb of data at a time. If then process goes well then you will get all your files which you are looking for. If not then you will need to files which are damage. There are tools that test and provide you information on file integrity.

Try some other file transfer tool. There are many available. Sometime the issue also lies with Tera Copy. Use a good one which can also fix damage files and make the transfer process more simpler.

I always found Tera Copy slow compared to other tools. I had tested around 2 to 3 different file transfer software. I copied 5GB of movies on a pen drive. Compare to all Teracopy took the maximum time. There is one more tool which I will recommend you to use. It is called as SuperCopier. It has some extra benefits over regular file transfer and it is really effective in usage. It offers you simple file transfer with different set of files. You can just have to provide the source location here. I found this faster compare to other file transfer software. File transfer software offers you a automated way of transferring files from one place to another. Just test this tool. I will also recommend you to verify your hard drive for bad sectors. If there are some, then you might face serious bug. Bad sectors does not allow you to transfer files due to which you keep on getting errors. So just test your drive for errors and then try back.