Thread: MPG file on Windows 8 Media Player plays only sound not video

MPG file on Windows 8 Media Player plays only sound not video

I have a huge collection of videos on my Windows 7 desktop including almost all Video formats. Now some of my most important videos are in MPG format. I recently bought a brand new VAIO laptop that came pre-loaded with Windows 8. I copied all my important stuffs from desktop to the laptop, left a copy on the desktop as well. Everything is working fine on windows 8 so far except MPG files.

Whenever i try to play those MPG files in Win8 Media Player or Movie Maker, it plays the Audio but the screen remains black. I cannot see anything. But when i play the same file on my Windows 7, it works fine on both of those application. Whats wrong with Windows 8? It is also not giving me any kind of notification or error so that i can troubleshoot the problem.

Do any of you have faced this problem with your Win 8? What and where is the problem? Please help.

Re: MPG file on Windows 8 Media Player plays only sound not video

This could be probably Codec's issue. MPG files are not supported by default in any of windows media player. You require a Codec for the same. Simple search for K-lite codec pack in google, download the latest version and install. It should work fine now.

Alternatively you can also download free VLC media player. It supports almost all kind of video formats. I use the same even after updating to Windows 8.

I appreciate your help tREYTON but appears like your suggestion didn't worked for me. Even after installing the K-lite codec, those mpg videos still wont play in media player nor getting imported in Movie maker as it cannot see the video files. However i am able play those files in VLC fine but i have to work with them in Movie Maker.

Any other suggestion please?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    Even after installing the K-lite codec, those mpg videos still wont play in media player nor getting imported in Movie maker as it cannot see the video files.
    The reason is because K-lite is still not compatible with Windows 8. They work fine until Windows 7. You need a Win 8 compatible codec like the one I am using known as “Windows 8 Codecs”.

You can download the same from here. For more help on Windows 8 codecs, just check this official Microsoft page

That’s what I needed. Thanks for the share Pandeyji. It helped. Now I am able to play those MPG filers in Movie maker as well.