Thread: Microsoft Office 2010 docx missing word icon in windows 8

Microsoft Office 2010 docx missing word icon in windows 8

I have installed Microsoft Office 2010 in my system running windows 8 but for some reason docx file are missing word icon. You can check out the image below:

As far as I am aware it should appear with word icon, right? So what’s wrong in my case???

Re: Microsoft Office 2010 docx missing word icon in windows 8

first try to check if the Word 2010 was installed and you were able to open a doc file using word 2010. if yes, then try to press Windows key and simply type " Word " and you will get some list of options.... if you see the Ms word on the list, just right click on Ms word and choose " pin to start menu ". if the word doesn't display on the start menu all apps then you should uninstall and reinstall or go for custom install and select only word.

There’s surely something wrong in your case, even I have installed Microsoft Office 2010 last week in my laptop running windows 8. The docx files appear with proper icon in my case. I want to know if you have made sure that Word is set as the default program. If not, then set it as default program for opening files and cross check if your docx files attain word icon after that. If it is set already, then you can try repairing Microsoft Office. In case, even that doesn’t help then you will have to uninstall and reinstall Office 2010.

Word is already set as the default program for opening docx files. I have tried repairing and even reinstalling Microsoft Office 2010 but no avail. The docx files are not attaining word icon at all, this issue is not specific with some docx file but it’s with all files that I have and all files that gets created. I have installed Trail version of Microsoft Office 2010, can that be an issue?

My system is free of virus or malwares. I run scan on daily basis. I have ran through scan as well. Bit defender dint reported any malicious files. There is something else that it interfering with Microsoft word. All other Microsoft programs are working fine.
    I have crossed check my whole system and I don’t see any other extension with missing icons. My issue is specific to Microsoft word only. I have run sfc scannow command to Repair Windows System Files, thinking some windows System File might have got corrupted but no luck yet. Is there anything I need to check out further?? Or is there some other solution that I can try out??

While looking after similar topic over web, I came across one who was facing exactly the same issue. However after trying out couple of things he reverted back and said that creating a new profile had solved the issue. I am not sure if it would work out for you as well but you can surely give it a try for now.