Thread: Not able to install Zune - Extraction failed, file is corrupt.

Not able to install Zune - Extraction failed, file is corrupt.

I get an error message saying “Extraction failed, file is corrupt” when I try to install Zune in my system running windows 7. I have bought Nokia Lumia 510 recently and since it doesn’t support Bluetooth format of other phones, I was planning to transfer some music and videos in my phone via Zune. However since downloading it, I have tried installing it quite a few times but I get the same error message again and again. Is there anyone here who can shed some light on this error so that I can fix it???

Re: Not able to install Zune - Extraction failed, file is corrupt.

First off all from where have you downloaded the Zune software?? Have you downloaded it from its official site?? Is your system protected with virus? There are possibilities that your system might be having some virus and they might have corrupted the Zune files. Just run a through scan and see if you it reports you about any suspicious files and so.
    Break it-So we can Fix It

I have downloaded Zune from its official site. My system is well protected and it doesn’t have any antivirus. I run scan on daily basis and my AVG antivirus has not reported any suspicious files yet. I think there is something wrong with the Zune software itself. I have tried downloading and installing Zune about 3 times but no luck, after running the ZuneSetupPkg.exe I am welcomed with “Extraction failed, file is corrupt” error message. I also want to add that my system is up to date with all recommended windows update installed. Let me know if you need any other information to help me out.

Did you try installing Zune in compatibility mode?? I am not sure if it would make any difference but you can surely give it a try.
    • Right click on ZuneSetupPkg.exe, select properties and click on compatibility tab
    • Under compatibility tab, check “Run this program in compatibility mode” and select “Windows xp” in the compatibility modes drop down list.
    • Click on apply and ok for saving the changes you have made and run ZuneSetupPkg.exe again

In case if you get the same error even after installing Zune in compatibility mode then you can try installing Zune in safe mode as well.

I think there might be some third party application or service running in the background and interfering with Zune installation. In that case you can follow below tips:
    Close all unnecessary background applications
    Disable unknown Microsoft services running in the background
    Turn off your antivirus and other security program
    Disconnect your system form Internet

Once all above conditions are true, you can download Zune again and try installing it.

I don’t know what exactly was causing that error but I followed Jason Atips and I was able to install Zune without any further error and issues.