Thread: Can i convert .exe file to .com file

Can i convert .exe file to .com file

I want to know if I can convert .exe file to .com file?? I know that it can be converted, but I want to know if doing that makes any difference or not. As far as I am aware .exe and .com both are executable. There are some small applications and I am willing to change their extensions, any suggestion???

Re: Can i convert .exe file to .com file

Which applications exe you want to change??? Why are you willing to change it?? Is there any specific reason you want to change it??? I won’t suggest you to rename an .exe unless there is a need for it. Both are executable extension but then after getting converted in to .com your .exe file might not work as designed.

You can change .exe file to .com file without any issues. I’ve already tried that out, I have changed some applications exe programs and I have converted them to .com files and they are working fine. I don’t know if it will work for all applications, you might get some errors because of different internal format.
    For some applications I was getting “Filename not found” error after converting its exe to com. However you can switch back to exe anytime in such cases.

Even though both .com file and .exe file are executable they have different internal format. I don’t think there is any point in changing .exe file to .com file unless there is a specific reason for the same. If you want to do it for testing purpose then you can go ahead with it. Also this conversion won’t work for all applications, especially windows applications. You might get success in converting a third party application but still it’s not a good idea.