Thread: .exe files are getting opened in wordpad

.exe files are getting opened in wordpad

Guys something seriously wrong going on in my system. For some unknown reason all exe files are getting opened in WordPad. I don’t know if anyone in my home has changed anything as don’t stay at home for most of the time and I am not the only one who has access to this system. Today while installing some programs I came to know about this issue and now everybody at home are saying that they haven’t changed anything, I need to fix this issue as soon as possible, help fox fixing this issue will be highly appreciated.

Re: .exe files are getting opened in wordpad

I guess your File Associations might have got messed up and you will have to change it accordingly. For changing the File Associations you can refer below steps:
    Go to start > Default Programs > Set Associations
    Now select the file extension that you might be willing to change and click on "Change program" button
    You can now select appropriate program for opening that specific file extension.
    In case you don’t find the program you are looking for ten you can click on browse and find it out.

Hope that helps, in case you have any query further you can feel free to ask.

I have tried following your suggestion but I can’t see .exe file in the file extension list. I have scrolled down and have checked each extensions but .exe is not in the list. I have scanned my system thoroughly to make sure that there is no virus and the results were clean. I am not able to make out the actual cause of this issue, everything was fine until yesterday. I am quite sure that someone any my place have messed up with the system. Anyways is there any other solution that I can try out???

You can try editing windows registry for fixing the issue:
    Open command prompt, type “cd\windows” without quotes and hit enter
    After that type “regedit” without quotes and hit enter
    Now go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe and change the value of Default key to exefile in right-side pane
    Once you have made the above changes go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command and change value of Default key to "%1" %*, exit Registry Editor and restart your Windows.

Which operating system you are running? Can you just try out the fix mentioned in below article?? It addresses similar kind of issue you are going through.
    When you run an .exe file on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program
    If you are running vista then make sure that you are trying Microsoft Fix it first. If you are running windows 7 than you will have to try fixing the issue manually, best of luck.

If you are quite sure that some recent changes have caused this mess than I will suggest you to try out a simple system restore rather than editing registry things. You can restore your system to a point when everything was right. System restore will swipe all the programs and settings after the restore point you’ll chose. So for being at the safer sides just go through the affected program list and make note of the programs for installing them later.