Thread: Install OpenOffice or LibreOffice or MS Office 2010 or MS Office 365 in Windows 8, which one?

Install OpenOffice or LibreOffice or MS Office 2010 or MS Office 365 in Windows 8, which one?

I have just installed Windows 8 in my computer and started to browse its content. While browsing, I found that the only text editing tool available in this operating system by default is Notepad. Since it provides only minimal text editing options, I don’t think that it is of much use. I am planning to install complete Office Suite in my PC which will provide other softwares too. I am deciding which among OpenOffice, LibreOffice, MS Office 2010 and MS Office 365 will be the best. Can someone tell me about it?

Re: Install OpenOffice or LibreOffice or MS Office 2010 or MS Office 365 in Windows 8, which one?

I think you should go for MS Office 2010 as it provides the best softwares in it. You can also use MS Office 365 as it will be the advanced version of MS Office 2010 itself, but since I haven’t used it I cannot say for sure how good it will be. But I think MS Office 2010 will be good for you. You can use MS Word 2010 for powerful text editing. You can use MS Excel 2010 for creating data sheets and balance sheets. Then you also have MS PowerPoint 2010 which can be used for creating presentations and demonstrations of your work. I think that you will find MS Office 2010 useful than others.

Re: Install OpenOffice or LibreOffice or MS Office 2010 or MS Office 365 in Windows 8, which one?

I have used LibreOffice and let me tell you that it is also good for use. Though it is not developed as MS Office 2010, but still it is good. It will act as a good substitute for MS Office 2010 and will provide you with similar features and almost same options. But if the two softwares are compared for their quality and precision, then I can say that MS Office 2010 is clear winner. The formatting of LibreOffice is quite different as that of MS Office 2010. You will surely notice the difference when you will be creating some document in it.

I don’t suggest you to use the OpenOffice suite in Windows 8. Not that it is bad or will not work, but you will find OpenOffice kind of weak as compared to MS Office 2010. The features of it are kind of basic with no deep properties or options that can be actually used to create a professional document. I have been using MS Office 2010 for a long time and I think that in Windows 8, there will be no other Office Suite that will help you to get better results. The only use of OpenOffice or LibreOffice I see is when someone has made the document in these office suites and I want to maintain the formatting. Otherwise, I use only MS Office 2010.

You have to wait for the official release of MS Office 365 which will be done after the release of the retail version of Windows 8. I think this office suite will be the best one to use in Windows 8 as it is specifically designed for it. Also it will not give any compatibility issues that other versions of MS Office might give you. I think you should go for MS Office 365 as it sounds to be the most advanced Office suite too. I don’t know much about it, but it is designed specifically for professional use and has been given a complete business type of look. If you need Office Suite for office work and all, then my suggestion is that MS Office 365 will be the best for you.

You didn’t mention which Office Suite you were using before you installed Windows 8. I suggest you to continue with the same Office Suite as it will be best for you. Also let me tell you that if you were using any older version of MS Office, like MS Office 2003, then it will work in Windows 8. Maybe some features might not be compatible or not work properly, but basic work can be dont with it properly. Also Microsoft will soon release upgrades for the old MS Office suites to work in Windows 8 properly. So my suggestion is that you use MS Office if you are habituated to it.

MS Office Suite is used by most of the people all around the world. So my suggestion is that use the Office suite that most of the people use around you. If you use LibreOffice and your co-workers use MS Office, then it might happen that the formatting of your document will be different from there’s. So if you submit document to them created in LibreOffice and they open it in MS Office, then the formatting will change. I think to avoid such situations, you should use what people around you use.