Thread: how to restrict certain apps and games on Windows 7 for other users

how to restrict certain apps and games on Windows 7 for other users

hi, i am having a desktop computer at my home running with Windows 7. It is having just one account, that is Admin and i have few important data, files folders, etc on the same. There are also some softwares and video games that i dont want should be accessed by anyone else or my kids.

I tried creating another user account but that too cannot work effectively for restricting with apps or games. So, is there any way i can restrict access for any other user accept me for any particular Softwares or Video games installed on the same account ? If yes, please let me know how. Thank you.

Re: how to restrict certain apps and games on Windows 7 for other users

You can do it without using any third party apps if you are running with Windows 7 Professional OR Ultimate edition. It is available only in these two editions of W7. If you have any one of these, follow below steps to restrict apps for anyone else apart from you.

• Click Start button and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes in the search field, Press Enter.
    • Now in the opened window go to the following Location Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Control Strategies of the application and click AppLocker
    • Now click on click the Configure implementing rules on right side.
    • Check the box configured in the Rules area of the executable and press ok.
    • Now go to the AppLocker Overview area and click Rules of executable.
    • Here you need to Click Action menu and Create Rule.
    • Check the Skip this page by default and click Next
    • Check mark "Deny" and click Select.
    • Now go to Advanced button and click Search
    • Here you can select the name of Users you want to restrict for using your apps.
    • Once done, click next and select the path. Click Browse Folders and select the applications and games you want to restrict access.
    • Once done click next and select the folder included in the restriction not to take into account
    • Give any name to this rule and click on create button.

Thats. it.

Thanks for the tutorial buddy. But it is not working for my system. I am using Windows 8 Ultimate and all these options were present on my system, i went step by step as mentioned above. It seems like the steps are incomplete, am i missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Gajodhar View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial buddy. But it is not working for my system. I am using Windows 8 Ultimate and all these options were present on my system, i went step by step as mentioned above. It seems like the steps are incomplete, am i missing something ?
    Oh sorry, i forgot to mention the last process, that is starting the App Locker service. Wee you can do this by going to start and typing services.msc. On the services window, double-click the Application Identity service and select Automatic from the Startup type drop down list. Now click Start button to launch the Applocker now. From now onwards, will start automatically with your system.