Thread: LibreOffice Impress vs OpenOffice Impress

LibreOffice Impress vs OpenOffice Impress

Which one is the best among both to give us better slideshow support. I am using Linux Mint. In that by default I got LibreOffice. It is nice with ample of documentation and presentation support. I want to know that this is better or not. My friend suggested me to use OpenOffice Impress. He find it very easy. I had worked on LibreOffice Impress for some while and find the same a bit confusing. Should I quit or stick with the same.

Re: LibreOffice Impress vs OpenOffice Impress

What I know about OpenOffice is that it lack support. While compared to that LibreOffice is far more better. It is always recommended that you must stick with the latest software only. This will make your job more easier with tons of new editions.

OpenOffice is very old. LibreOffice is new. If you want you can check the interface of the same through VirtualBox. I am using LibreOffice Impress which works in quiet a nice way. I can do a number of things and add majority of animation effects. OpenOffice reminds me of Office 2003. It is very basic with old and outdated menu design. Also there are less features.

Recently I had seen there was a new version but not really impressive. I also found that LibreOffice is going to get new updates for longer time in comparison to OpenOffice. There are very less updates available for the same. That is the reason Linux Mint comes pre-installed with LibreOffice instead of other one. But it is also not right to say that OpenOffice is completely finish. Still those you are use to the interface are using it. If you just need basic function then you stick with OpenOffice version.

But if you are thinking of having certain enhancement then checking for the newest edition is well worth. It is not better to downgrade to an older version of free Office suite.

It is right. LibreOffice Impress is newer then OpenOffice Impress. It might be easy, but to some extent it is not recommended to use. I had checked both, but found LibreOffice as far more better one. I will also recommend you this one.

Both are free. It is your choice what you want to for. There is no exact comparison chart available. As said by above people LibreOffice is new and better. I had tried to install Microsoft Office through Wine. I thought this might work well, but it didn't. It crashed instantly. Also when I save a files there are different number of files are created on the desktop. Wine might not have a better way of dealing with Windows Temp files. I removed the same and switched to OpenOffice. I use it for a while and found that for additional option I have to upgrade the same.

I also want some additional format while saving a file. After upgrading to LibreOffice I found more option. The current version offer you direct pdf editing. This is yet not provided in Microsoft Office. You can modify pdf files and the save them in the same format. In Windows you will need to use different type of software for the same. It is smooth and better. But the only thing it lacks is low number of pre-installed templates. I was hoping to have more. The current templates are not at all better.

The only difference that I noticed is that LibreOffice is has more feature in comparison to OpenOffice. Run Impress and check the same on your own. If possible try to install one of OpenOffice also. You can find that in Software Manager.

I am using LibreOffice and it is pretty good. I never used OpenOffice. It is better in performance and offers nice compatibility among Microsoft Office documents. This makes your job more easier. What I like in LibreOffice is I can control 3D images in more better way. The tools that are added are much better. Compared to Powerpoint, Impress gives you some additional tools. Somehow if you had switched to Impress first time then it will be a bit complicated to handle. The 3D images support is made work fine, in which you can embeds the text in more proper way.

I had seen some screenshot of OpenOffice. In comparison to LibreOffice, it looks very basic. The similar menu style of older Office applications. I hope this will be updated soon with much better features so that people can use it in more better way. Both of them are not at all complicated to handle. It makes your job more easier in many ways.

I use LibreOffice only because of additional extension support. I find the same online on their official website. I had seen this work very well with different number of add-ons. I would recommend you to go with this so that you can get new features.

OpenOffice looks very basic. It looks people had stopped working on its development. While compared to that LibreOffice looks more better. I am working on Linux for years. First I was using OpenOffice. Then I quiet the office suite due to some lesser updates. After upgrading to LibreOffice I found a much better interface and support. There is a extension support where I can collect a number of things on the same. Somehow I hope OpenOffice will be improved in future. But till today the best open source office suite is only LibreOffice.

The interface, app support, tons of features and animation effects are well fitted in Impress. There is no version of Microsoft Office for Linux. So there are less chances of using it on wine also. It does not work fine.

It is right Microsoft Office does not work fine in Wine. I had installed that and faced a number of crash issue. I am also using LibreOffice and it is nice. It will be get regular updates and is stable with different type of formats.