Thread: What are new enhancement of Microsoft Project 2010

What are new enhancement of Microsoft Project 2010

From long time I am working on Project 2007. Before that after when I upgrade from 2003 it was very complicated for me to get used to the new interface. Now my office people are planing to upgrade 2010. I made this thread to find what new enhancement added in the 2010 version. If there are just interface changes then it is not worth to go for this upgrade. But if there are major changes related to collaboration or other stuff then I can try to go for the new version.

Re: What are new enhancement of Microsoft Project 2010

Always the new version is better. Because it gives you more features and compatibility support. I do not understand why you worry so much about the interface. Things are one the same, but they are more organized. Like in Microsoft 2010 you will get a far more better interface. It is more fluid and smoother. Compared to 2007, 2010 is designed to give more performance. I had notice a number of time 2007 is resource intensive while 2010 is smooth. The same ribbon is also added in this version. This is almost a 2 year old version and I heard that soon you are going to Office 2012. So it is not worth to stay behind and keep working on the older models. Project 2010 is more smarter than 2007. The reason is number of new additions. The options to print, save and publish or share your content is reduced. You can now do that with one click. You can also more properly organize the projects that you are working one. A proper collaboration of other office applications like Word or Excel.

Quote Originally Posted by aMADeO! View Post
    From long time I am working on Project 2007. Before that after when I upgrade from 2003 it was very complicated for me to get used to the new interface. Now my office people are planing to upgrade 2010. I made this thread to find what new enhancement added in the 2010 version. If there are just interface changes then it is not worth to go for this upgrade. But if there are major changes related to collaboration or other stuff then I can try to go for the new version.
    For a complete list -- see:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...010354195.aspx

I am a fan of inactive tasks and the SharePoint Sync.

I am still using Project 2007 and happy with the same. I had decided to go for upgrade. But then I went to the feature list. They just added better support for SharePoint. If you are working on SharePoint server then you must go for the upgrade or else is fine enough to stay on the old one.

I do not agree with you Project 2010 is better and if there is any recent version then I will advice you to go fro the same. There are additional options added to make your work more easier. What I found that the integration between other Office application and project is made simple. You easily import or export data from other office tools. The copy paste stuff has enhanced. I had noticed that it is much easier to move data from project to excel. Even if you format it or you had added any task it copies it with the formatting. Along with that Project 2010 gives you full spreadsheet solution. You can with easy right click add a row or insert new columns. This are very basic things to discuss but very important. Above all the most important aspect is the performance. Project 2010 launches quiet faster and does not freeze the system on large database.

What I like about the new version is more number of templates inside it. It helps to choose more options. This was very low at the time when I was using Office 2007. The template section gives you more range of templates per-defined and easy to customize.

I think the upgrade is only important if you work more online. Means if you need to frequently share your project or collect information from online database then upgrading can be recommended. Because there are number of new feature added for those who work over web. There are flexible control and quiet recommended for larger enterprise. For small companies I think you can simply stick with the current version. But that is actually your choice. I had worked on the trail version of this tool and found that there are many additional features. Some of then will never be used by small enterprise. Compared to the older version new gives you more in schedule configuration. This is made more flexible. It has became more easier to manage your schedule and mark empty for future references. With integration of user control schedule you an allow people to manage number of different projects inside one single file. At the same time for reference purpose you can dd up notes also. One thing even I will agree is the the template section which is far more better.

I like the task inspector feature. I had found that in product brochure. When I tested that in trial I found this feature very effective. It helps to analyze a number of issue occurred at the time of improper scheduling. This is one of the best feature that I like with Project 2010.

What I liked about the new version is managing inactive task. I am quiet fed with those number of task that keeps on accumulating and at the end when I checked it is not easier to delete them all at once. What I found that in Project 2010 when there are inactive task you can simply analyze it. Second thing you can also create more better plans with more options that you are not going to find in the older version. Microsoft has modified the timeline completely. That is reason you get the best plan overview on your screen. It is quiet easier to share important date easily. Rightnow the new version has option for visual notification. This notification provides you information on important task. Also you can quickly find the summary to older task easily. You do need to open up and check all stuff.

There are more graphic improvement on Project 2010. It is better than the older version and there are quick controls configured properly over the entire software for easy work.

What I like is copy pasting of timeline. This is quiet not good in the older version. It simply copies everything. And another thing you can get that same in pdf file so that youc a share the same with others. Project 2010 has good option with share-point. If your office is on share-point server then you are going to enjoy great stuff here. I will advice you to go for this for more professional results.