Thread: Which TV Signals will not work on Windows Media Center

Which TV Signals will not work on Windows Media Center

I am trying to stream some TV signals on media center pc. But there are los of disturbance in between. I had found on Microsoft site that there are some signals which will not work on Windows Media center. I need a list of those.

Re: Which TV Signals will not work on Windows Media Center

I think the below link can guide you for the same. The below list has information non TV signals that will not work in Windows Media center. It also depends on the device that you are using for video signal. Along with watching you can also record the Live TV on your computer. First thing check the specification of your TV Tuner card. There is clearly mentioned on the card box which signal it supports. What I know that Windows Media Center supports many types of TV signal. Some of them are ATSC, QAM, ISDB, etc. There can be issue with the analog signals. Mostly it lies on the specification of TV Tuner card. Like a analog tv tuner card cannot stream digital channels. IF this is a new setup then you can do one thing. You can try reconnecting the TV tuner card properly and checking out for new drivers. Atleast you must be able to stream the some free channels. It is recommended that when you are using the Media Center to watch online TV you must not run any kind of applications in the back-end.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-media-center

Mostly the issue lies with TV Tuner. Windows Media center supports a large number of online TV signals. There are chances that you will face errors, but that can be due to poor reception.

I had some tips that can guide. You must understand first that there are mostly two different types of signal on air. The first is the standard one which is for free channels mostly and the second one is digital. Media Center is capable of detecting both of them. And if you are getting error related to the channels then there are two reasons behind that. The first that there is very poor reception and second the channel is not available. I will advice you to go for internet tv if you are having a good bandwidth. There is no issue of facing problem with the signal and output quality. Sometime you might need a set top box to capture a much better video quality. Some time misconfiguration with the cable connectivity also cause the issue. I face issue mostly related to free over the air channels. Sometime they are detected but sometime they are not. When I switched to a new TV tuner that supports digital I found new channels and they were working fine.

What matters is that the TV Tune must compatible with the type of TV signal you are getting in your area. Because there are channels that might not be access with the TV tuner you have. You can ask the service provided related to channel signal status.

I use a standard antenna for that. The antenna capture over the air channels and the quality is quiet acceptable. The antenna is directly connected to the Tuner. When I turned on Media Center I can see all free channels. I am not using Digital TV Tuner. This type of cards can be found easily on cheaper rates. You have to use a cable splitter if you are using multiple system. This works really fine. You can split the channel for two different TVS and record more channels at a time. Mostly the TV tuner will not work if it is not compatible with the TV signal. Whatever it may be digital or analog.Go on Media Center > TV > Setup TV. Here you can configure the TV and also configure recording. The onscreen will show you want the is condition of signal status. If you are still not able to find the channels then you will need to contact the cable provider of your area and ask him about the signal specification. You might need to upgrade your existing TV Tuner card.

You did not specified that you are having a cable tv box or you are using a receiver type stuff. If you are having a set-top box then this becomes more easier. The cable tv box is best as it can easily capture multiple signals.

If you are having a TV, check the channels on it. If still there is no reception then simply contact your local service provider and you can ask him for a set-top box. This box will remove the problem of signal. It is possible to connect the cable tv box to your tv tuner card. The cable connection is only needed. The cable box can render all type of channels. It does not matter if it is a standard or digital. Connecting a antenna directly to the TV tuner can give you poor reception. In most area it is not easy to get clear signal due to various issue.

What error you are getting on the same. Does there is no reception or there is a issue relate to clear signal. Mention the area where you stay and model of TV tuner card. I can provide some help here.

Update your TV Tuners drivers. If still there is no help I will advice you to get a new one. Second thing if there is radio in your home or nearby the pc then turned it off. The FM frequency clashes with the TV signal because of which the signal is disrupted. I had tried this before but was not successful in getting clear reception for free channels. Later on I subscribed to internet tv for a monthly pack. I had upgraded my internet line and now it looks all is working fine. It is quiet necessary to have a set-top box when you are viewing over the air channels.