Thread: Need advice on some good XMBC Plugins

Need advice on some good XMBC Plugins

I am going to install XMBC on my system and this will be the default media player. I want some advice on nice addons for this media center. I heard that XMBC offers more additional plugin that can make your job easier.

Re: Need advice on some good XMBC Plugins

I can recommend you one. It is called as NaviX. If you are having a internet connection this is one of the must add-on for your system. It offer you online videos. You can stream certain channels also. It is best for multimedia content which are available publicly over internet. There are some free playlist that you can use to view videos. The best thing about this simple addon is the playlist. You can customize that with your own logo and icons. You can also link your existing media or simply stream that from web. XMBC is one of the best free media player that I found. I am sure that it works properly on every system. The interface is bit rich so it needs nice system resource. I will advice you to disable all your background services when you are using this in Windows. Because that can affect the video streaming quality. Also Navo_X helps you to get free online video content. The media server works nicely with Xbox also. So in case if in coming time you need a media server for gaming console or want to setup a regular home media server, then this can be used.

There are very less add-ons available for XMBC. I will advice you that you must look on web and download a couple famous addons. NaviX is one of them. But if you are not going to stream video from web, then this is not worth to use.

Instead of Navi-X, go for Free Cable. This is better in my views. This addons helps you to have a lot number of free internet channels. You just need a good internet bandwidth for that. You cannot use this on slow connection. The number of plugins which are available for this media center are mostly based on online TV or basic customization. I cannot find any better other than those. There is a unofficial XMBC repository which offers more plugins, but there are no chances that this will work fine or not. I will advice you to check once whatever plugins you are using. The official site offer a separate section for plugins and scripts. Which is empty. And only the skin column give you some free downloads. I do not think there is much add-ons available for this media center.

I like the interface of XMBC. That is very nice. Along with the skin. I hope there would be more development for this open source media center. There are still number of people who are using it.

It is right that there are very less addons available for XMBC. But in future if this is more popular then there can be group of people who can came to together to work on it. XMBC is a nice media center with many flashy effects. This type of interface cannot be notice on other players. If you need a plain and simple media player just to stream your videos them the best is VLC. It plays almost every type of video file and it is worth to use also. Wile XMBC is bit different. Along with your hard drive video it also help you to stream online internet video and play free channels. I had installed this on my laptop and using it for more than a year.