Thread: how to play fullscreen video on second monitor with VLC

how to play fullscreen video on second monitor with VLC

I have got some interesting discussion or you can say query to be placed over here. As my title says that I want to know the exact procedure for playing a video on another monitor with the help of the VLC media player, now what exactly I need to see is this secondary monitor should only be able to play the video with a full screen and the complete control of the media player should be handled from the main monitor.

Please do not say that this is not possible, I am very well aware of this concept and I have already tried out this same thing previously a long time ago but with the older version. But now I am trying out the same procedure but nothing seems to be working at all. Nothing has been change except for the version of the VLC that I am running currently. Is it that the developers of VLC have now restricted such features into their latest version? The version that I tried previously for the same purpose was 0.98 and now I am get the same thing done with 1.1.2 and other later versions. However as already said other than the version nothing has been changed but then why I am facing the problem. Also the system is the same previous one i.e. windows XP system. Anyways it’s you people you can help me out now; I am done from my side. Please help me out and let me know what should be done. Any suggestion will be welcomed and highly appreciated.

Re: how to play fullscreen video on second monitor with VLC

If you are well aware of the procedure then I can only tell you to keeping trying the same thing again and again but do make sure that at each and every trial you keep on resetting your preferences and cache and only then try to connect your player with the other monitor. I just wanted to know whether you really do follow the command line codes properly. Anyways you just see to it that you type the same command for viewing a full screen video with your VLC, verify the command and let me know: --no-embedded-video --fullscreen --video-on-top --directx-device=\\.\DISPLAY2. Even after trying out the command if you are still facing the problem then at least you can have a looking into other things.

I guess, this is the exact place where I can have my issue placed. I am also facing the same problem as mentioned above. I personally believe that there is a bug in the 1.1.2 and other later version of VLC. By looking at the behavior of the player this is the only thing that I can make out. I mean, when I try to run the video on full screen on my first primary display keeping the control of the video (console) in another monitor the video plays just fine. I have tried to play the video on my primary monitor with the help of the same above mentioned command with only certain obvious changes. I am easily able to play, pause, stop, minimize and maximize the video by controlling it from the secondary monitor.

But with the second monitor still the command wasn’t worthy as trying it out use to completely disable the video’s window and I was only able to hear the audio which was very much annoying. so I decided to try the command in a contradicting way, instead of try the above command I tried this one, --no-embedded-video --no-fullscreen --video-on-top --directx-device=\\.\DISPLAY2. After trying this for the second monitor something weird happens. The command line opened up the window for playing the video but however the window was placed within the first monitor so therefore I dragged the same window to the other monitor. Now, here what happened was before I moved or dragged the window to the second monitor the window seemed to be completely dark out with only audible audio like I said above but after dragging it to the desired monitor it did well. The video plays well in the second monitor but unfortunately not in full screen (obviously its due to my changed command).

Currently full screen is the only thing missing in my case. At least I am able to get the video properly on my other monitor; the only thing missing is a full screen view that is for sure I will get as soon as possible but desperately needs your help for it. So please keep updating me with the suggestions.

Ok! If try out the normal command used to just let you hear the audio and not to view the video then I think the problem should be with the x-positions of your video window. Why don’t you try changing the x-position values? You can easily edit it position of the video and manage to get the correct one with the help of doing certain Trial and Errors. What you need to do is type the above command for producing the video in your second display without a full screen and at the end of the command add the following i.e. --video-x= (after typing the command make sure that after the sign = you enter the value), most probably I would suggest you to go with your computer’s resolution. If the added doesn’t seems to be working then try some other value, just keep on trying I am sure you will get the correct position set on your screen. Please let me know the result if possible.

Let me clear something. I have done lot of research on playing a VLC video on a second and let me tell you not all the versions are able to do this task. With the help of the command line if you try to play a full screen video you will only be able to do it on VLC 1.0.1 to 1.0.5 whereas for version 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and other later version playing the video on full screen on second is not at all possible is not at all possible.

You won’t believe even I was one amongst you long time ago tried a lot and however managed to get the things properly. Initially I wasn’t aware of the version issue so therefore always I use to upgrade my version with the succeeding version if I face any trouble with the one I was having. The first version that I had was 1.1.2. Wasn’t able to get the video play with this version so upgraded it with the later one and had the same problem. But when understood the problem I simply turned back to the 1.0.5 which was other than 1.0.1 the only version that worked well with a desired feature, however playing the video at the top with full screen on Display1 was working well with 1.1.2.