Thread: Installed VLC 2.0 and hearing lots of audio distortion

Installed VLC 2.0 and hearing lots of audio distortion

I have been running windows 7 on my system and have recently installed VLC 2.0. Since updating to VLC 2.0 I have found the audio to be worst, there are lots of distortions even when I am having a high quality speaker. I don’t know what’s wrong with VLC 2.0, I was using vlc 1.0 previously and never had any issues like this before. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has solved out the issue as well?? I don’t want to quit using VLC as I have been using the same and I think it is one of the best media players I have come along. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: Installed VLC 2.0 and hearing lots of audio distortion

In that case I just wanted to know that have you tried out installing the latest sound card for your driver? If not then try updating the sound driver to the latest and see if it is making any difference in your case. You can also try out changing audio setting within VLC as well. You can try reducing the volume control to 100% and if it helps then you will have to use it like for now. If these things do not help then simply try out uninstalling and making fresh installation of vlc but if you still don’t get any luck with the same then you will probably have to wait for its next update. I have found a number of people having different issues with it, some were able to solve it where as some have just roll backed to the older version they were using. Just try out the solutions that I have mentioned and let me know it any one of them is appearing to be helping.

I was facing the same issue with VLC 2.0 and setting the volume control to 100% seem to be helping, you can say that it is acting as a temporary solution. You can just go in to Tools>Preferences>Audio>Volume> and check mark "always reset audio start level to" : 100%. Make sure that you are saving the same, if that’s not helping you out in your case then like suggested you will have to wait for the next update or simply roll back to the older version of vlc that you might be using. While looking after a solution for this issue on web only setting volume control to 100% is appearing to be helping. None of the other possible changes in the setting is making any difference. I have tried setting it to 150, 200 and even 400 but setting anything above 100% is causing distortion. I don’t think there is anything else we can try out. I am currently using vlc after setting the volume control to 100%, there is not issue with the video and it is playing file the issue is just with the audio. If anyone comes across any other solution then the ones that have been mentioned here then please share it here it will be very appreciative.

I am not very sure if these solutions will make any effect but you can give them a try and see if they are appearing to be helping:
    1. Go in to Tools > Preferences > Audio > Output > Output module and select 'Win32 waveOut extension output'
    2. If that does not help then select 'DirectX audio output' as Output module
    3. You can try enabling GPU accelerated decoding as well, for that go in to Tools > Preferences > Input & Codecs > Codecs > Use GPU accelerated decoding.
    4. You can also try enabling graphic equalizer, for that go in to Tools > Effects and Filers > Audio Effects. Hope that helps.

I have just come across newer version of VLC 2. 1 which is VLC 2. 1, as we know there were a lot of bug in VLC 2.0 but most of the bugs have been mentioned as fixed. As far as the audio is concerned they have fixed spatializer filter distortions and they have also used better and fastest SinC algorithm this time. Other than this they have fixed S/PDIF passthrough with ALSA and they have also removed the flawed ALSA channels autodetection as well. Just try updating to VLC 2. 1 so as to check if audio distortion has been actually fixed or not. Best of luck.

I have downloaded and installed VLC 2.1 and I will like to share that it is the worst. I mean there was just audio distortion in VLC 2.0 but in VLC 2. 1 there’s audio distortion as well as video distortion. I thought that there was something wrong going on with my system but I have tried out VLC 2.0 in two different computers running on windows 7 and I have found same response on both. I am really running of ideas now, I don’t think that the developers are testing them out on all the platforms before releasing them. I am really disappointed with VLC as I have been facing the same issues back to back on their different versions. I was in a hope that further update will fix this issue but then now I doubt if it will be fixed later as well. Currently I have rolled back to VLC 1.1 and I am not having any such issues with it.