Thread: how to remove "press any key to continue" in windows 7

how to remove "press any key to continue" in windows 7

I am really fed up of such message and prompts that appear during the time of system startup. I have a windows 7 system that is working well at my place without creating any problem. This prompt doesn’t harm me in anyway but I do not understand why exactly it appears during the time of startup. Is there any problem with my machine or its common? If it’s common then I really do not want it for any purpose. The major problem comes when I leave my system to boot and get away from the PC to do some other work, and when I returns what I see is that the system is stuck up with a prompt saying “Press any key to continue”. Just because I didn’t followed the instruction the computer all the way stopped at that message until I pressed any key.

If I see the message then there’s no problem as I can press any key the next moment but what if I do not stay in front of the system during the booting process. I personally feel that such prompts do consumes and wastes the time. They don’t even resume automatically. There should be a feature where suppose if you are prompted with such message and if in case you didn’t see it then the system should resume and continue the boot after a particular period of time. at least it will save the rest of the time that would have been wasted until you see the message. So friends hope you understood my actual requirement. Just help me out in either removing this prompt message completely from the system or else let me know a trick from which I can at least manage to skip it as according to my requirement. Hope someone might help me out.

Re: how to remove "press any key to continue" in windows 7

As far as I know such prompts appear in the windows system when we try to boot through a CD. There are cases where people do get such prompt due to some sort of BIOS setting trouble. Maybe yours the same case. I would like to suggest you something, better you try at least once to boot your system by disconnecting everything except for the HDD1 and let me knows what you experience. And if possible also let me know whether you have any kind of power shell script or a batch file that runs during the time of boot. Such thing do tends to create or produce the above mentioned prompts and messages.

Anyways if anything is related to the BIOS and the HDD then you can better change the settings and try to keep your HDD as the first priority in the boot priority. Just do all the things that I suggested and let me know what difference you see and whether you get the prompts again.

I do not thing that there is anything wrong with the boot priority, although I am not well aware and sure about the boot concepts. However after following your instructions I found that “press any key” prompt disappeared but ended up giving me some other message saying that “No hard drives found.” Let me make one thing clear, the message appears only if I disconnect everything leaving the boot disk connected as it is.

And when I connect the CD DVD or HD2, they are detected and works find but the same irritating common message is prompted saying to press any key. After trying out all your R&Ds I have got more confused and left with no power to think about the problem. Anyways let me know what I should do now.

You issue seems to be quite interesting. After reading out the error that you have encountered after you tried booting your machine with boot disk connected I can easily make out that the issue soles lies between your BIOS and the boot drive. Its your BIOS that is unable to detect the boot drive, that’s the reason you are getting such hard drive not found error. For more confirmation what you can do is, in your windows 7 go to Start then there inside the search field type the following text: Computer Management and then press enter. You might get the Computer Management option just click and open it. now inside the Computer Management and search for a boot drive over there. If you do not find any then the problem is exactly what I said i.e. your BIOS is unable to detect the boot drive.

I would like ask about the number of physical drives that are installed into your machine. Multiple numbers of drives can sometimes create such problems. For your knowledge let me tell you that a single operating system can work smoothly and properly only with one active hard drive. Anyways now follow my instruction for making the Disk 1 on the C partition as active and Disk 0 as inactive. First follow the steps for making the Disk 1 active.

• First of all go to the start menu of your windows 7 system and then inside the search box type the command diskmgmt.msc and then press enter.
    • Now what you need to do is first select the partition you want and then right click on it and then mark it as active by simply selecting the option called “Mark Partition as Active”.

After activating the partition as explained above now you need to deactivate the Disk 0 and for doing so you need to follow the below steps:

• First of all either you need to open the command prompt at boot or you can also prefer to open elevated command prompt (depends upon you)
    • Now inside the command prompt type the following text and then press enter: diskpart after pressing enter you might get certain Microsoft diskpart version and all, after that again type list volume inside the command prompt and then press enter. Now you might get all the volume numbers and letters. Just make sure that you note down the volume number and the volume letter of which you want to mark inactive.
    • Now again type select volume and then press enter. Here make sure that you also type the volume number or the letter just beside the word volume i.e. if suppose you want to enter the volume number 2 then do it this way: select volume 2 or select volume A.
    • After typing the volume number or letter that you want to inactive inside the command prompt type inactive and then press enter. That’s it everything is done. Now after the completion of task type exit and press enter. Restart the system if it’s a boot.

Hi oppilla,
    Goto start(windows orb) => type "msconfig" (without the quotes) => press Enter => in the System Configuration window that opens up => open "Boot" tab from the tabs on top => select windows 7 from the list there => click on the Set as default button (if its not greyed out) => Change the Timeout to "0" (without the quotes) seconds => hit Ok => restart ur PC.
    This should do the trick, msg back if it didn't work.