Thread: Installed apps not working in Dell XPS 8300

Installed apps not working in Dell XPS 8300

It is my Brand new Dell XPS 8300. Yesterday I we had a power outage and due to this computer crashed suddenly because there was no backup power supply from inverter or UPS. The system then could not able to turn on at all. So I took it back to the Dell stock. They have formatted the Entire system and then it worked fine but i loose all my data in it. After that I have installed several major apps like Microsoft office 2010, Mozilla Firefox and so on one by one. It worked for the first time when I first launched those apps. Once it closed, I could not able to get’em back in any manner. Whenever I try to open and start those programs, the system shows an error message saying that something was missing and it cannot open. For that reason I had to a complete restore of the system once again a followed the same procedure for installing drivers and apps. This time also once the apps closed, I cannot get them back on. This is the first time I am experiencing this problem and all of it started after the system crash. I don’t know what has caused this but I am quite sure that there is no solution found yet for my problem.

Re: Installed apps not working in Dell XPS 8300

This problem seems to be very strange and I never heard about this before from anyone or from any OS. I don’t know how and why it is happening even after the complete re-installation of Windows. It looks like the program or apps shortcuts are messed up due to some reason. The major file related to the program which could be either the Exe file or Dll file might be replaced or deleted or maybe get corrupted and the shortcut through which you want to launch the app, could not able to find its appropriate target. It could happen either due to Virus infected to your computer or some fake programs installed without your knowledge. You should check the target location of the Shortcut icon. For example, Firefox is located at C: Program Files (X86)\Mozilla Firefox. If it is not proper or missing, then assume that there is really something wrong with your system or OS.

Do you have a Dell diagnostics tool set or programs which will help you to scan and fix errors in HDD or check for memory errors? It seems like your hard drive or even memory is bad. If the problem is persistently recurring, it would be better if you replace the several major hardware components. If your system is still under the warranty, check by replacing motherboard or simply by new HDD. You can borrow from others also just a matter to check your individual components functionality. 90% it looks like a cause of faulty HDD.

If you bought the system from the US and directly from the Dell, you will have 21 days, from the date of the Dell invoice or from shipping date to call and request a return authorization. You can either request for refund or try to get you a new system to replace the old one your currently have. I will surely try that method and will see what they can do regarding this problem. Nowadays some programs needed Windows .Net framework need to be installed on the computer otherwise there is no way you can run .Net compatible apps in it. Windows 7 previously comes with integrated with .Net Framework 3.5. So you don’t have to install it later. You can upgrade it whenever you want to a newer version as for your requirement. For Windows Xp, it needs to be installed separately.

• To fix this issue, first of all open the Registry Editor on your Windows. Make sure that you are logged in using the Administrator account; otherwise the system will not allow you to edit the Registry entries. From there you have to look for the following registry entry:
      Code:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS NT/CURRENTVERSION/WINLOGON
    • Once you find it, click on it and go the right pane.
    • You should see two things there. Find the shell and double click or simply right click> choose 'modify'. If it says explorer.exe, let it be. If not, change it to simply: explorer.exe
    • After this scroll down to same pane, and find Userinit. You should edit this as well. The value data should read exactly this: C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,
    • After this close the registry editor, and reboot.

Maybe the processor is busy elsewhere and only start the programs delayed. Try once if you can see from the Task Manager to see if some program caused a lot of traffic.

I would have to run the same time trying to repair what is and whether it can fix. May be some. Dll damaged / defective / not available.

Windows 7 also supports the "XP - mode", under which one can run older programs.

While installing the Apps, you should also check the whether the app is compatible with 32 bit version or 64 bit version OS.