Thread: Using Family Safety 2011 and time limits are not working on children's account

Using Family Safety 2011 and time limits are not working on children's account

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my computer. Earlier it was running Windows XP. After the installation of Windows 7, I also downloaded the Family Safety 2011. I was trying to set the time limit for the kids accounts because they are always busy with the games and surfing and that spoils their studies. But I found that the time limit is not working for the kids accounts. This like, system has blocked the time but then also they are able to login to the system without any problem. This really seems weird. I a m new to Windows 7 and so have les knowledge of the features of this. Can somebody over here post with some information that can help me to set the time limit for children’s account? I will really appreciate each and every reply for this, Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Using Family Safety 2011 and time limits are not working on children's account

You have not mentioned that which version of the Windows Live Family Safety you are using. So please post with this information and this will help us to better understand your problem and we can try to provide you the most accurate solution for this issue. If you wish to check for the current version of the Windows Live Family Safety then you will have to login to your Windows Live Family Safety account. When you login into your account then you will see that there is one circular button which is having question mark. This will be seen at the upper right corner of the Windows. Just click on that circular button and you will see a few options poped up. Select the option for “About”. It will show you all the details about Windows Live Family Safety along with the version that you are currently using.

Re: Using Family Safety 2011 and time limits are not working on children's account

You can try with the steps below and see if that can solve the problem for you. So here we go:
    1. First of start your computer and login with the Admin ID and password.
    2. Now uninstall Windows Live Family Safety from your computer.
    3. You will be asked to restart the computer. Just restart that and again login with the Admin ID.
    4. Go to the control panel.
    5. Open the User Accounts and select Family Safety.
    6. Select Set up Parental Controls for any user.
    7. Choose the users account for which you want to place time limit.

If you get the error message as "Unable to make changes to Parental Controls settings" or anything like that then you will have to go with the steps below:

8. Click on start and then type: C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User
    9. Here, you will have to rename the file "Registry.pol" as "Registry.pol.backup"
    10. Repeat the sjteps 4, 5, 6. Now you should not get that error and you will be taken to the settings for parental control and make the changes that you want to do.
    11. Download and install the Windows Live Family Safety.
    12. Just follow the simple onscreen instructions for the installation of the Windows Live Family Safety.
    13. After completion of the installation, you can logout and test if the account's time limits is working properly for you or not.

This is a very nice post by Gania but in case, if this is not working for you then you can again go back to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Userand from there rename the "Registry.pol.backup" to "Registry.pol". If you wish to see same type of error then you can click on the Windows start button and type 'Event Viewer' there. Now you will have to expand the "Windows Logs" and choose "System". Now from the right hand side, you will have to click on "Filter Current Log" and then check "Error" which is there beneath event level. There you will have to type child's username within "User" field and hit OK button. There are more chances that it will solve the problem for you but then also if you are having any further issue with this then you ca n reply us back and we will try with some other method.

I think that after changing the online settings from the Family Safety 2011, you have not refresh the Family Safety Filter and that is the reason that you are facing problem with this. There is nothing to worry for this. In order to refresh the page, you will have to open the Family Safety Filter from your computer and there you will see the refresh button placed at the top right corner of the same page. Click on that button and that will refresh the Family Safety Filter. Once you are completed with that then close the window and check if the changes are taking effect or not. There are many of the users who were having the same problem and they get it resolved in the same way. So I hope that it will be helpful for you as well.

I wish that your problem is resolved by the steps given above but if you are not able to get this problem resolved by the above steps then you can also try with the steps given below. I hope that it will be helpful for you.
    1. Just change the settings that you wish and save them.
    2. Once you are completed with the changes then click on the refresh button
    3. After refreshing, just logoff and login again.

Just refreshing will not work for you. The key behind this is logging out and logging in. If this is not done then the changes are not going to work.

In order to allocate the time limits for the user to access his account, you can follow the steps given below:
    1. Go to https://fss.live.com and Sign in with your Parent account.
    2. Click the option for Edit Settings which is there under the username of child.
    3. Tick the Turn on time limits radio button.
    4. Now click on "slot of day and time you wish to schedule access"
    5. Finally click on Save button and it will work now.

I have resolved this problem with the following steps. Just go through the steps given below and you will also be out of the issue.
    1. Start your computer with the Admin ID.
    2. Uninstall the Windows Live Family Safety with the help of the Uninstall Programs from Control Panel.
    3. Restart the computer and again login as admin.
    4. Go to the control panel.
    5. Select "Set up Parental Controls for any user" from 'User Accounts and Family Safety'.
    6. Select user account for whjich you wish to make time limits.

I think that you are using the old version of the Windows Live Family Safety and because of that you are facing this problem. Just update this to the latest one and you will be out of this problem. There are many of the users who are facing similar problem with the old versions of the Windows Live Family Safety and the people who are having latest version don’t have even a single complaint regarding it. So keep it updated and you will be away from the issues like this. If you are having the same problem with the latest version as well then there is possibility that the Windows 7 system files are having some problems and you will need to repair the system. Repairing system will replace all the corrupted files and your system will be running without any problem.