Thread: Outlook Profile Issues - Help?

Outlook Profile Issues - Help?

Howdy folks. Having an issue that I can't find anything similar out there.

The issue is actually 2 fold.

1st, Outlook 2003, Windows XP, we have a number of PC's that every time the user logs into Outlook 2003, it creates a "Backup of Default" profile in the control panel mail applet. So some users have literally hundreds of profiles in the list. Does anyone know why this happens?

The problem I really need to solve is, how can I delete these at the same time? We are upgrading users to new PC's with windows 7 and Office 2010. We use Easy File Transfer to migrate their data to the new PC. Unfortunately for users with the issue mentioned above, all of the profiles come over. I am dealing with an issue where i need to delete all of them. In Outlook 2003 I could hit Delete/Enter really fast over and over and over till they were all gone. In Outlook 2010, there is pause between each delete that will take hours and hours to get rid of these one by one.

So I would like to get rid of the file or files that contain these profiles, so I can delete them all at once, and start from scratch.

So, Anyone know where the profiles are actually stored, and in what file or files? Thanks.

Re: Outlook Profile Issues - Help?

Any help out there? I have been searching for this for quite a few months now. Both the cause of the autocreating of the "Backup of Deafult" profiles, and where these are stored on the HD so they can be deleted all at once instead of one at a time. It seems no one out there knows this answer as all of my searches come up empty every single time. I have a user with 1500 profiles in the mail applet and there is just no way I can delete these one at a time.

What happen if you install Outlook in anyways, you wont get control on the Custom11.prf which is a default file in its installation which matches what you have in the MST. You can find its location in program files and it is used for new profiles only, other than it is specified in the registry, or as a backup if a correct profile could not be found. Hence, you should overwrite the custom.prf with a copy of your own working PRF on each server.

Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    What happens is if you install Outlook in anyways, you wont get control on the Custom11.prf which is a default file in its installtion which matches what you have in the MST. You can find its location in program files and it is used for new profiles only, other than it is specified in the registry, or as a backup if a correct profile could not be found. Hence, you should overwrite the custom.prf with a copy of your own working PRF on each server.
    I thank you for the reply, but I really did not understand that response. I don't deal with the exchange servers, just the desktops and Outlook. We have an email team that deals with the servers, but everytime i aske them for help they tell me they do not use Outlook as their client so they can't help with Outlook. lol. But anyways, are you saying that these 1500 "Backup of default" profiles in the mail applet in Control Panel are not in fact stored on the PC, but on the exchange servers?