Thread: How to create File association by using App-V?

How to create File association by using App-V?

currently I am running App-v on Citrix Terminal server environment. I have turned off publishing refresh in order to boost login speed so that user would not be able to get any kind of file associations set. Now I am trying to .sav association so that it can Open with App-v spss software. I tried to get my requirement by copying HKCU keys which is outside of server so that I can tuned on associations on my system. I am able to see this particular key in registry and file is having app-v icon. However when I am trying to launch file I am getting following error message.
    ‘There are no applications that can be used to open this document.
    Error code: 4615186-04B03401-00031013.’

I have copied following registry keys.
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\OpenWithList]
    "a"="sfttray.exe"
    "MRUList"="a"
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\OpenWithProgids]
    "SPSS.DataDoc"=hex(0):
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\UserChoice]
    "Progid"="Applications\\sfttray.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.sav]
    @="SPSS.DataDoc"
    "Content Type"="application/softgrid-sav"
    "SoftGridSource"="rtsp://arapp1:554/"
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.sav\OpenWithProgIDs]
    "SPSS.DataDoc"=hex(0):
    Let me know if you are having any specific remedy to resolve my issue.

Re: How to create File association by using App-V?

Can you tell me about RDSH login setting? Let me know if App-V app is published globally on RDSHS. .msi deployment making me wonder that it is not centrally managed. So it supposed to be dependent on server only. Let me know if you have installed .msi after changing RDSH installation mode to install rather than that of execute mode. as far as solution is concerned I am suggesting that you should create a remoteapp program and try to open and see whether it is working for you.

file type associations cannot be written on HKLM\Software\Classes on the basis of delivering of App-V applications. I am suspecting that RemoteApp Manager to find out file type associations for application you are looking to create MSI file. Hence you are going to have couple of options to get your requirement of yours.

you should simply import App-V package on test Remote Desktop server by running SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE command with /GLOBAL switch. It would simply write file type associations on HKLM. After doing that RemoteApp Manager will be able to see it. however you will need more FTA than that of actual need as all virtual application FTAs are going to used on SFTTRAY.EXE.

in order to create a MSI file you have to open MSI editor. FTA should be written to the registry table. Finally you have to add own entries and ICO files for every single FTA located inside of MSI.

There are people who are saying that make use of App-V Server Management console so that you can modify FTA. I do agree that it should be most flexible option to modify FTA configuration into package at the time of sequencing process. So that FTA's will be placed into the package itself and it would give you deployment flexibility. Also you should distribute the application as per user rather than that of assigning to all the users. You should keep FTAs into virtual environment.

Can you tell me how you are supposed to access your files? Do you clicking the .lis file directly located into temp directory? You will not associating .lis file type with app and association would not exist if you are not using proper version of application.
    If we need to browse for a file then there should be explorer window provided when we are launching package. it should be done carefully as it might confuse all the users.
    You can also make use of SFTMIME commands so that you will set association with pre-launch script. Hence associating would set up automatically when app is getting launch.