Thread: Unable to use IMF on MS Exchange 2003 SP2

Unable to use IMF on MS Exchange 2003 SP2

I am using MS Exchange 2003 SP3 behind of Firewall. Now I am looking to block spam. I have already enabled Connection Filtering as well as Intelligent Message Filtering on SMTP. Also I have enabled Recipient Filtering. I have also added 3 Block List providers and now I wanted to configure those list so that it could become Global Allow List.
    After doing lots of research work I have concluded that I need to configure Perimeter IP List and Internal IP Range so that everything would work without having any issue. I am not having much idea regarding Perimeter IP List. I don’t know whether I will need to add external IP address on my router. I found somewhere that there was conflict of Connection Filtering was happening. I have configured subnet ID and mask on General of message Delivery Properties. Any useful information on this particular matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Unable to use IMF on MS Exchange 2003 SP2

Well in this particular situation you should include all servers into organization of yours which processing received SMTP emails. You have to route mail to Sender ID and connection filtering deployment servers on all the servers. In case any servers are going to process SMTP mail which are located on perimeter then you have to include all perimeter IP addresses for those servers. You should also specify individual IP addresses or group of IP addresses. The IP address which you have configured must excluded from Sender ID filtering as well as connection filtering which are displayed. In case Sender ID filtering or connection filtering deployment servers managed to get IP address from the list then Exchange Server would skip that IP without validation by means of Sender ID filtering or connection filtering.

In case you are having HT server only then firewall which is running on your system supposed to send sends packets to server. it could be possible that they are coming from original source address and you will be able to skip that particular IP range. If you are looking to receive e-mail from Internet then receive connector that you are using should be able to accept anonymous connections. If you are looking to get some control on r internal SMTP client then you should create and receive connector and you have to use e IP ranges. You should not include LAN network. . you have to replace IP range on default receive connector by making use of LAN.

Well I am wondering that you are using internal application which would send emails to Exchange server. you should allow internal emails which can be by passed through IMF. You can do that by whitelist where reporting app is supposed to running under of,
    • Global Settings> Message Delivery> Connection Filtering> Accept
    • An issue might occur if internal IP is present under of perimeter IP list.
    • Global Settings> Message Delivery> General

If you are not having internal applications then there will not be any issue.

Well there are couple of parts associated to spam email on IMF. First of all Block e-mail messages at gateway or at mailbox store.. in case message rating is higher than that of gateway threshold then IMF should be work as required. If message is having below rating than that of gateway threshold the message should be sent to receipts Exchange mailbox store. If message is having higher rating rating that of mailbox store threshold then mailbox would stop delivering message to junk email folder of user than that of Inbox.
    Irrespective of SCL rating used for message the Exchange would delivers all the message to safe sender to user inbox. In case email message has been blocked by means of gateway threshold then it should not be delivered to user's Inbox as it should be delivered to mailbox store. This particular message should be processed by all the filters one after the another. If you wanted to exclude one sender from one domain then you should set sender into Safe Senders on Outlook client or Global accept list.

I think all the users are doing mass mailing and we all knows that mass mailing to be considered as SPAM. You should simply lower down total number of recipients into email and see that the thing would work for you. In custom weighting feature (MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml ) available into Intelligent Message filter of SP2 which allows the admin t configure behavior of Intelligent Message Filter. It is decided on phrases which has been mentioned on boady of email message. You can change the parameter by using Min or Max keyword. If phrase is matched with MIN keyword then message has been given an SCL of 0 regardless for other weights. If phrase is matched with Max keyword then message with SCL 9 is generate irrespective of weights. If any phrase matched between Min and Max for a message then Message would return SCL 0.