Thread: Need help with installtion of BizTalk 2010 std edition using the SQL Alias

Need help with installtion of BizTalk 2010 std edition using the SQL Alias

I have been trying to install BizTalk 2010 standard edition using the SQL Alias and in my case I have defined a new SQL Alias on the Biztalk server and I did not had any issues in connecting to the SQL server but then the problem is that when I am trying to configure the Biztalk by pointing the database server name to the SQL alias then I am getting an error message saying the below thing:
    The database server you specified cannot be reached. <ale sure you have specified the correct name and that server os currently running. A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing connection to sql server. The server was not found or accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Name Pipe Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL server).
    I have found that when I am changing the name of the database server to databaseservername\databaseinstance then the configuration is appearing to be working out, I just wanted to know if I am missing anything, I have checked out the SQL server and have made sure that the pipe and the TCP/ICP are enabled, is there anyone who has an idea of this issue??

re: Need help with installtion of BizTalk 2010 std edition using the SQL Alias

Have you follow the below solution for creating SQL Alias for connecting with the SQL Server machine.
    • First right click on the “Aliases” item and then chose the “New Aliases” item Under the SQL Server Native Client folder
    • Now you will get an “Alias – New” dialog box, so here you can create an alias and specify the instance of the name and the port for the same.
    • Set the name of alias: “BizTalkSQL” in the “Alias Name “
    • Specify the port where the Database Engine might be listening: 1433 in the “Port No”
    • Juts leave the default value “TCP/IP” in the “Protocol”
    • Specify “servername\instance” in the “Server” and then click on apply and then on ok and you are done.

Hope you have created the SQL Alias in the same manner?

Yes I have followed the same steps and I have not missed out any and even after that I am getting the same error message, I don’t know what is the issue all about and I am just running out of ideas by now, I have tried out all the possible solutions that I could have but then it is not making any difference, I have been looking out after an answer for the same in some other forums as well but then I have not got any luck yet, is there anything else that I will have to check out?? Or set anything on the SQL for enabling the SQL alias on the Biztalk host server? I really want to sort this out as soon as possible so please help!! Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

From your situation It is appearing as if you are trying to create a localized alias using cliconfg? So I just wanted to know that are you having your BTS and SQL server's on different machines. Are you having a SQL named instance in the scenario? Have you been trying to set a non-1433 SQL port number or trying to mask this instance, the reason why I am asking you all this is because if you are trying to basically reference the SQL Server's NETBIOS name with an alias then I think that a better idea will be using a DNS CNAME and if not that then setting up host file entries, you should try these if you are not in a production environment, I wanted to inform you that the alias needs to be globally accessible because when we set up a BizTalk then it will be creating SQL jobs which will be using the alias that will be specified, so here if you are not having resolvable alias on the SQL tier then the jobs won’t get created/executed, in simple language if you are using an alias that is not a DNS CNAME record then you will have to enable a loopback. Hope you understood what I am trying to say.