Thread: Installed Mac Box Set from DVD but it ask for a serial number

Installed Mac Box Set from DVD but it ask for a serial number

Bought a new Mac Box Set containing iWorks, iLife and Mac snow leopard into it. Last evening I sat for more than 3 hours just for installing and updating the software and also setting put the things. I didn’t face any problem while performing the installation or anything rather now after the completion of the installation I am facing the problem. I am unable to use this complete set. Whenever I try to use it, I am asked for a serial number for no reason. I am sure that there is no such serial key requirement for the Mac box bundle to run but even then I tried out the serial number that was already mentioned on the box, I knew that this number won’t work but simply for a trial purpose I gave it a try. Then later on I also tried the numbers that were printed on the CD which again didn’t make any difference. Again and again I kept on telling me that I need to buy/purchase the serial number. I don’t believe them; already I have paid enough amounts for this Mac Box Set then how come they are trying to charge me more for a serial number. This is not at all done in any of the way. Even after paying so much of amount for the box set how can pay more for just a simple serial key.

Re: Installed Mac Box Set from DVD but it ask for a serial number

Everything is same here, even I bought this box set for £159 but I think the amount is not enough for Mac; they still want the user to pay more amount for the serial number. If not then there might be something wrong from our side. And I doubt the second case a lot. One of my friends had a look into this thing and told me that the issue might be due to the previous installation from the trial download, however he suggested me to delete that previous installed version and then carry on with the re-installation from the scratch. But I guess deleting and reinstalling the box set completely didn’t work for me. I would suggest you to try out the same, maybe in your case it might work. Other than this I also went through the preferences and then tried deleting all of those files including the used AppZapper but unfortunately even this leads to negative side with no positive result.

Initially even I was having the same problem. Don’t know for what reason I was not just unable to install the box set but also I was unable to uninstall anyways. I doubted a lot that there might be some missing file that are causing this issue. I also went through Library/Application Support and Preferences even then I was asked for the serial number whenever I tried to install from the iwork box. But then yesterday morning I called up the Mac support regarding the same issue and what they suggested me was to completely uninstall everything that is related to iWorks free trial. After I am done with deleting everything I must install the DVD again. I tried out their suggestion sincerely and guess what? It worked for me with no serial number being asked. I was actually able to install the purchased version.

The first thing I would like to tell you is to check the receipt if you still have it with you. As far as know if I am not mistaken there are serial numbers printed and listed below in each and every item that is purchased. Other than this if you are willing to delete the support files for iWork then the first thing you need to do is to remove /Library/Application Support/iWork, /Library/Application Support/iWork '09 and then followed by removing ~/Library/Application Support/iWork. If in case you have older versions installed you need to delete all the iwork folders from the application folder.

Once you are done with removing everything that has been listed and mentioned above installing from Mac Box Set should definitely not ask you for any serial number. Not sure with the receipt one but surely deleting the support file might work out smoothly.

It may be due to the free trial of Pages that I signed up few months ago. After getting the free trail recently last week I bought the Mac Box Set and I installed iLife into the machine without any problem but then after installing iWork when I clicked on the pages icon I am introduced with a box that tells me to enter the software serial number. This thing never happened with me before installing iWork. However I researched a lot about finding the serial number most at the bottom of the box. I found a number and I even entered which didn’t recognize anyways. Until now I also tried deleting the support files for iWork following the instructions but nothing worked. Also I moved iWork and some 3 software icons to the trash which again landed me up at the same place. Even the number on the receipt doesn’t work anyhow. Let me tell you, I am still now clueless and with no solution, please help me out.

Uninstalling everything related to the iwork trial version and then installing from the DVD I think is the correct solution but for the users who don’t have the organized system like me might find it quite difficult and complicated other than find a proper straight forward solution. There is a best and the easiest solution with me. as already been suggested above first you need to delete the support files for iWork, remove /Library/Application Support/iWork, /Library/Application Support/iWork '09, and ~/Library/Application Support/iWork. Now the thing is that after you delete the support you might think that you are done with deleting the files complete but somehow you are not right because there may be certain files that are still lying around there and there randomly undiscovered.

Now to get rid of the issue first you need to power up your machine and also note down the time for your system getting fully booted. Once the machine is started get the Finder Screen open and then press and hold the “command” key. Make sure that while holding the command key you tap the “F” key and then release all other keys. You might now notice a two rows related to the “searching” appears on the screen. Now you need to change the drop down menu from “Kind” to “Name”, also change the drop down menu from “Any” to “Contains”. Now type “iWork” and then delete the entire related program files that are shown up, make sure that if you have all the previously created documents in a folder you do not delete them. Now again repeat the above procedure but this time replaces the words “Pages”, “Number” and “Keynote”. Now empty the Trash bin and then reinstall the Program from the DVD. And once done with this thing just let me know the result whether you are successfully done or not.