Thread: The Search Result in Outlook 2007 does not show current years result

The Search Result in Outlook 2007 does not show current years result

I have been noticing that people are not really happy using Outlook 2007 and they have been complaining about it a lot. But when I was using it, I just found it very perfect. I thought people are complaining plainly because they are not willing to accept and get accustomed to new technology coming up. On one such occasion I noticed a thread which complained that the search in that is not working at all. What bullshit! I exclaimed since I recollected that last week itself I used it and it perfectly yielded my last year’s details also. Still, I planned to check it out before posting a reply to the thread about how perfect things were with me, I tried and it again worked fine but the second time also I noticed that the results yielded are only from my last year’s mail. Now that came as a shock to me and I decided to recheck it but to no good.

Even when I tried checking from "Rightt-Click > Find All > Related" or straight up from the search bar both did not work.

And then I realized that even my outlook was not perfect, I was just being negligent about the flaws. However, thankfully this flaw has not landed me into any trouble yet. And I have found it before anything could go wrong. But I don’t want to be a fool either by falling into mess even after I know that there is some problem with the system.

So I am expecting a fool-proof fix for this now. What can be done for this? What is the cause and the fix for this?

I am using a Windows 7-64 machine which is a dev machine that also has SharePoint 2010 on it as well as Visual Studio 2010 just if this information can serve some purpose
    Last edited by Shika; 24-04-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Re: The Search Result in Outlook 2007 does not show current years result

The commonest possible reason revolves around Outlook’s incomplete data files if at all it happens that when you search in Microsoft 2007, they do not actually serve any purpose and locate any item that you are looking for. If there is any encryption policy implemented by you or your company, then too, search results happen to skip these messages as otherwise your whole idea of encryption will go down the drain.

The possible issue that you might be possibly facing is that when there is Instant Search enabled in your outlook and you try searching something hardly any kind of results are obtained or the ones appear are not the desired results.

The most possible cause behind this maybe that the indexing of your data files might not be complete. Indexing is what enables the Instant Search feature to quickly locate items.

There is one thing that you need to know that whenever you are using Instant search, there is a critical need of Outlook to index the files of data that provides faster and better search results. This process possibly takes several minutes or maybe hours

That is perfectly right. But one thing that is to be taken care of is that, there has to be verification by your Outlook data files that they can be indexed.
    The basic outlook indexes include the following data files:
    Personal Folders files (.pst)
    Offline Folder files (.ost)

What you are basically supposed to do is as given below:
    - Move to the Tools menu and take your cursor right to the Instant Search and then you can click on the Search Options
    - Simultaneously, you need to click on the arrow that exists in the instant search pane.
    - Click on the search Options button present on the menu available
    - Go to the Indexing sub-menu, from there you need to verify that your search inclusions are already a part of the index.
    - Post this, you need to check and confirm the completion of indexing
    - In order to verify that the indexing is done perfectly, go to the tools menu then instant search followed by clicking on the indexing status
    - Make sure only 0 items are remaining in the dialog box. If that is not the case then you have to wait for searching till the indexing is completed
    - If the indexing I completed and still there is the instant search results are not yielding desired results. Then,

o Exit outlook by the standard ways and shut your PC completely down
    o Restart the computer and restart Outlook and verify if that the indexing is properly done
    o In order to verify that the indexing is done perfectly, go to the tools menu then instant search followed by clicking on the indexing status
    - Check and confirm that there is no increase in the number of items belonging to Indexing Status. If there is no noted improvement then you need to wait till the indexing is completed for the results.

That sounded so perfect and a great solution which I guess should work in most cases. But in my case, it was different, it is not working still. Even after I tried restarting and all those back door front door solution to the issue, it did not help, are you sure the issue is related to the indexing. If yes, why didn’t it get solved even after following your recommendations so well, if it is not then what is the issue all about? This is annoying.

Ok, I get your point very well, I would still stand by my words that the issue revolves around nothing else but the indexing issue. So, even after restarting nothing great happened ha? I guess, the next and the best thing to do is to rebuild the search catalog.

Search catalog is nothing but a file wherein all the outlook items and other Microsoft windows items are indexed.

In order to rebuild the search catalog, you need to follow the below mentioned steps:

- Before going ahead with the entire rebuilding thing, you need to Exit Outlook.
    - Then spot the windows’ start button and click over it and then locate control panel and click on it to enter it
    - After that, I am giving you an option to chose from as per your Operating System installed.
    o If your Operating System is Windows Vista then click on the System maintenance option and then click indexing option
    Please note that if you are in the classic view of it, you will need to double click on the indexing option
    o If you are using Windows XP as your operating system, then locate the text, see also under which click on other Control Panel Options and then click Indexing options present there.
    Here also note that if you are in the classic view of it, you will need to double click on the indexing option
    - On the indexing option page, you will have to locate a tab which reads ‘Advanced’ and click over it
    - After this, you can possibly click on the ‘Rebuild’ Option, which will rebuild your search catalog
    - Now, restart the Outlook and check indexing status, followed by checking the search results.